Meet the father of orange juice for breakfast

[Permalink]

They seem to recycling this woo lately; these stores have popped up all over lately.

Do you have heartburn, arthritis, acne, allergies, aches & pains, fatigue, headaches, stress or are you overweight? These are the first stages of over acidity or pH Imbalance. Diabetes, osteoporosis, stomach ulcers, MS, lupus, fibromyalgia, obesity, migraine, depression, headaches are the secondary stages of over acidity or pH imbalance?

2 Likes

What woos around comes around.

1 Like
The latest celebrity favourite is the Honestly Healthy Alkaline Programme, which involves eating predominantly alkaline foods in an effort to keep the body’s pH between 7.35 and 7.45, and claims to be able to heal a variety of ailments in addition to weight loss. Victoria Beckham is the latest star to try the diet, other fans include Gwyneth Paltrow, Jennifer Aniston and Kirsten Dunst.
1 Like

Say what you will about this eras pop-science quackery, but I can attest that I’ve never masturbated while eating corn flakes or Graham crackers.

4 Likes

So the answer for “acidosis” is to drink acid?

3 Likes

A wonderful book on the 1960’s orange juice industry [is John McPhee’s Oranges][1]. Originally written for the New Yorker, the book has lots of…er… juicy bits.

I understand OJ has a lot of sugar, but saying it’s basically orange soda is slanting the truth a bit. Still, it’s a good reminder for me to get out my juicer.

p.s. this is not a reply to logruszed. Just a reply to the article.
[1]: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/54983.Oranges

1 Like

The comments here are a wonderful antidote to any smugness we might be tempted to feel about how easily misled people were in the olden days.

2 Likes

People have become so skeptical about everything that they’re no longer able to recognize the truth.

Enjoy your osteoporosis,

Strange, I always assumed it was to make sure everyone got a daily supply of Vitamin C.

Well sir, let me assure you that you are missing out!

Speak for yourself dude.

1 Like

i thought it counteracted the glutens

An old farmer I used to have a lot of dealings with was a big believer in this … I remember seeing the book ‘Alkalize Or Die’ (http://www.amazon.com/Alkalize-Die-Superior-Through-Alkaline-Acid/dp/0961959533) on his table. But he was easily convinced of all kinds of alternative medicine; also a big believer in hydrogen peroxide (ingested) for various maladies. And magnets.
One thing I hadn’t realized until I started reading some of the natural farming magazines is that vitalism never really died. I mean, it’s gone as a scientific theory, but you can still mail-order an orgone generator…

You’re doing it wrong.

Late 1920s? Well, so much for that recent little tidbit in Downton Abbey when Baxter, the new lady’s maid to Cora, put a glass of orange juice on her breakfast tray, with the comment that Americans like orange juice. The time period for Downton is, right now, early 1920s.

edited to add. okay, after responding to the late 1920s item in the BB post, I clicked through and read this:

McCollum became the unofficial nutritionist of the nation beginning in the early 1920’s when he heavily promoted the life-extending and healing capabilities of vitamins

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.