Meet the future of audio: the KOAR Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headset is now 48% off

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/07/28/meet-the-future-of-audio-the.html

The future of audio:

7 Likes

I fear expensive 'phones. Are the cords invulnerable, or will they be the weak link designed into an otherwise tough system? I used to wish they’d make headphones with a female jack so you could replace the cord when the phones still worked.

Also, Bone Fone! I really wanted a pair of those when that ad came out. But not the seashells on a headband. That’s just goony.

4 Likes

They do. For example, the popular Audio-Technica ATH-M50x:

The under-$40 Koss PortaPros don’t, but for the cost of shipping the company will replace a broken cord (or any other broken part) for life.

Any one know how big the headband is?

I previously purchased the Panasonic bone conduction headset and it’s too small for my head.

That’s great! I clearly need to get out more. I’ve generally bought ear buds in the under-$15 range. Not sure my ears rate better (but some of these are certainly better than others, so maybe I can hear a bit of quality).

My Beyerdynamic DT 250-80s have a female jack (with seven pins!) I don’t know if their entire product range does but apparently at least that whole series does. (They sound fantastic too.)

Higher-end Sennheisers don’t have a female per se, but you can open them up to replace the cord without having to soften adhesive or desolder anything.

ETA: TIL that mini-XLR is a thing that exists. Neat!

So somehow between the three connections at the stereo end and the headphones the cable picks up 4 more signals from somewhere? Creepy, man!

The additional pins are for the model with a mic. Still leaves one pin unexplained, but their site has pinouts if you’re curious.

I was just wondering if there was some German mind control thing going on. You know, like the Cybermen.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.