Meet the "werewolf mouse" who hunts scorpions and deadly centipedes and howls at the moon

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/16/meet-the-werewolf-mouse-wh.html

13 Likes

14 Likes

Not your common tubestation brawler.

23 Likes

Netflix has a new limited documentary series called Night On Earth, featuring the latest in night camera technology. The episode “Moonlit Plains” has a segment on the grasshopper mouse, including watching one take down a UV glowing scorpion.

8 Likes
14 Likes

A grasshopper mouse version of the Wazzzup commercial?

8 Likes

I am killer mouse! Hear me SQUEAK!

16 Likes

Werewolf mouse. Weremouse?

12 Likes

I remember seeing this years ago and thinking it was a nature video by the onion.

10 Likes

Just saw that episode this morning. I distinctly remember seeing an almost identical confrontation (complete with victory howl) in an old Marty Stouffer documentary.

4 Likes

Are they related to Howard Dean?

6 Likes

Someone needs to closed caption this, and replace the audio with Judas Priest’s Painkiller.

4 Likes

So, the werewolf mouse’s body has the ability to convert the scorpion’s deadly toxin into a painkiller.

Converting a poison into something good. That sounds like Paul Muad’Dib’s ability to ingest and make safe the Water of Life.

12 Likes

Apropos of that, wasn’t ‘Muad’Dib’ the local name for a mouse in Dune? I have the vague memory of Paul’s choice being viewed favorably because of that.

16 Likes

Is there a word for something that’s both horrifying and cute? Because there should be, to cover this… maybe in German?

5 Likes

That would be „werwolfmausig“

5 Likes

Is that a reference to this by any chance?

Detail:

7 Likes
4 Likes

Der/die/das Merkel.

4 Likes

That is nightmare fuel; especially the centipede.

3 Likes