Meet the winner of the 2018 World's Ugliest Dog Contest

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/25/meet-the-winner-of-the-world.html

2 Likes

She is tremendously ugly I will admit, but I want to see the runner ups to judge for myself.

1 Like

That tongue!

1 Like

This really amounts to “most inbred dog breed” doesn’t it?

11 Likes

Humans are the worst breed.

6 Likes

That’s nothing. I’ve seen uglier dogs outside my window.

1 Like

Worth “searching ugliest dog winners”, there’s some that make Zsa Zsa look gorgeous.

2 Likes

I feel bad for the dogs. They look uncomfortable in such terribly bred bodies. Good on the people who rescued them and gave them good homes.

5 Likes

As mentioned, the ugly comes from cramped breeding and living conditions.

You want a real ‘ugly’ competition, how about you line up all the illegal breeders and animal abusers… there’s ugly.

2 Likes

Man, I cannot even begin to imagine the painful orthopedic issues that this dog has, or the likely brachycephalic associated respiratory issues…

I find this contest a little challenging. One one hand it’s great because it does a lot to raise awareness of puppy mills and availability of shelter dogs. One the other hand I definitely get a “look, it’s so deformed that it’s kinda cute” vibe from it. To be a total killjoy, I’d like it to come with a healthy dose of “humans were cruel enough to intentionally breed this: a dog with inherent congenital defects that will suffer for it, and likely require corrective surgeries to simply be able to breathe.”

(sorry folks, venting because I can’t tell you how popular “english” bulldogs have become in CA over the last decade, or the numbers that go into emergency hospitals for breathing/temperature issues because it got a little warm, or the dog decided to exercise a little bit, or decided to continue existing and tried to breathe)

6 Likes

I came here to say this. Dog “breeds” are a human manufactured thing. We are doing this to them. I’m not a peta activist by any stretch, but seeing dogs that can’t breathe, see, walk/run, or reproduce without human intervention makes me wonder why anyone would want to perpetuate that practice.
This dog reminds me of what can go wrong in that family guy episode where Stewie clones himself several times, or Multiplicity with Michael Keaton. There should be rules that steer “purebred” breeds toward greater genetic diversity and overall health.

2 Likes

Sorry, wolves.

2 Likes

I’m willing to bet that she’s an awesome, sweet-tempered dog who wants to be your friend.

1 Like

There’s nothing wrong with the many breeds of working and hunting dogs bred for thousands of years. They had to be “functional”. The breeding of freaks for fun is a relatively new phenomena starting in the 19th century, apparently done just because they can. Sadly, even a lot of the working dogs have been destroyed by the pet trade, but often there’s still breeders who select for the traditional traits. I don’t think you want to take the typical American Lab or Golden hunting.

The kennel clubs could end this easily by refusing breeder papers to dogs conceived by artificial means, like Thoroughbreds horses, and those with congenital defects in their parentage. They have no interest, it would wipe out popular dogs like Pugs entirely from the show circuit. I’d refuse papers for dogs that can’t breathe, walk, and their eyes pop out. Cats are less “plastic” than dogs, but they still try and make them freaks. Siamese today look nothing like they did when I was a kid 50 years ago.

Taz anyone? Wrong species withholding.

That is a severely disabled dog and probably in a lot of pain. What kind of quality of life can a dog that sick have? If it was my dog I’d put her put of her misery. Makes me angry, not just at the breeders but at the ‘rescuers’ that made it worth the breeders while by buying her. What’s to stop them from doing this over and over when they know some well meaning idiots will buy the unsellable ones?

Uncomfortable? They’re severely disabled and very likely in a huge amount of chronic pain.

And yet there are awful issues created by people breeding to Standard. My Goldens from established, reputable breeders were sound, gorgeous, loving, intelligent dogs who died far too young from various cancers all too common in the breed.

I’ve been told that English retriever breeders have hewed closer to traditional ideas, and their dogs are much healthier. People will pay far more and go out of their way for English bred labs. If I were running things, if a dog’s parent died of congenital disease the AKC papers of their descendants would be revoked. Puppy mills do a lot of damage, but not as much as the show breeders who inbreed deliberately for certain traits.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.