Meeting Cow Dog

[Read the post]

18 Likes

12 Likes

I do not understand. Why is there a story on BoingBoing with nothing for sale?

13 Likes

Moof!!

7 Likes

Because every so often they remember that this place started out as a blog, before someone decided it had to be monetized through the wazoo. And when they remember that, they sometimes post something truly exceptional. Every so often. Before resuming the incessant drumbeat of “buy, buy, buy.”

4 Likes

Well at least they could make it something more useful, like artisanal termite-cake or a hammer made of cheese.

4 Likes

Moof, moof. I would kill a jihadi for a hammer made of cheese right now.

A big hammer made of good cheese.

1 Like

the fantastic French soft cheese in front of me wouldn’t even work as a rubber mallet

3 Likes

On the other hand, it’d be hilarious to watch you try :wink:

4 Likes

Best of holidays to all the Americans and other thankfulness-feast participants! I’m outta here.

7 Likes

nice story, thanks for sharing.

4 Likes

Thank you, that’s beautiful.

4 Likes

Xeni, I came to know and love a homeless woman and her dog in San Francisco. They were there most every day when I got off Bart and headed for work. When they weren’t there, I worried about them. One Monday morning, I found her in tears. I asked if I could hug her. She nodded.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“I had to go to the emergency room and I couldn’t take my dog!”

I held her while she sobbed.

Other commuters cared about her, too, and one of them recognized her dog and took it home. “She couldn’t survive without her dog!” she told me. I wholeheartedly agree.

We see the marvels that service dogs do every day for Veterans and disabled folks. Why penalize a homeless person for having a canine support system?

Now that I’m back in Northern Virginia, I think about my friend and her dog often. I wonder how they’re doing. I can’t imagine one without the other.

Thank you for telling us about Cow Dog, Xeni.

7 Likes

Giving you Thanks for this story.

2 Likes

To paraphrase a certain Dug: “I don’t know you, but I love you.”

Now my eyes are watering…such a beautiful story. I’m so glad you survived cancer!

3 Likes

Thanks Xeni.

1 Like

I’m getting a 404 to the article.

The correct link is https://boingboing.net/2015/11/25/cowdog.html

The [Read the post] link goes to http://boingboing.net/2015/11/23/cowdog.html which is wrong. It’s two days early in the date part of the URL.

6 Likes

Hi Xeni,

I also had the pleasure of meeting Cow Dog and his Hooman. I saw the two as I left a nearby business and after I drove away, I asked myself, “am I really going to ignore this man?” I did a u-turn and handed him a twenty for a good meal for him and Cow Dog. We talked for half an hour. He really wants off the streets, and in our area being homeless can be especially hard.

I have thought about him everyday, wondering how I can help him get into a small space, out of the cold, where he could keep Cow Dog, how could I help give him his dignity back. He is so kind, humble, and appreciative. After spending some time with Cow Dog and this man I felt my life is an embarrassment of riches (even if I am just scraping by). I feel like my twenty is nothing compared to warm bed and feeling safe.

I feel, probably much like you, Xeni, that it is more natural to share what little I have than to turn a blind eye. Thanks so much for sharing this story. I’ll continue to check city resources and maybe something will come up thats a good fit for all.

5 Likes

Cheesehammer goes on the band name thread!

4 Likes

Your best post ever. Including all personal posts about your fight with cancer. Naught else compares.

1 Like