Megachurch preachers and their expensive sneakers: @preachersnsneakers IG

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/03/megachurch-preachers-and-their.html

7 Likes

Looks like we’re in the Transmetropolitan timeline now.

39 Likes

It is probably stating the obvious that they could be wearing cheap knockoffs not readily discernible at a distance from the genuine article. But of course it is all too believable that it is not so.

8 Likes

The prosperity gospel scumbags would say that the Invisible Bearded Sky Man™ wanted them to have those pricey sneakers, and launch into a whole speech about why it’s important that they wear them. And their marks would nod along and toss even more money their way. That get-out-of-hell-and-hypocrisy free card is one of the prime benefits of running that grift.

38 Likes

Then he said, “Do not come near; take your fly kicks off your feet, for the place on which you are standing is holy ground.”

16 Likes

Wow. It’s amazing how the mega-xians have adapted to the times… In the only the worst ways.

17 Likes

download

57 Likes

Scam-preaches would probably take some bible quote then twist for effect; something about providing footwear comfort to the rich.

9 Likes

Well, given that it’s not such a far step from Lambos and mansions to pricey sneaks.

11 Likes

So… it’s jeans now?

And that guy with the beanie, is he showing crack?

2 Likes

I hope so. We could really use Spider Jerusalem right now. And maker synthesized drugs.

I hear you, but I feel Occam’s Razor applies. I can’t see those egos not buying the real deal.

This is why there is some part of me that really hopes the God they keep talking about is real.

If they actually believed He was, they wouldn’t fucking dare to do this stuff.

Of course on the flip side, if He was this shit would have been stopped by now.

Unless God really wants His flock to be fleeced. In which case, inshallah.

8 Likes

This just in: Preachers are hypocritical assholes. Film at 11.

Worked on megachurches for years. None of these motherfuckers drove anything less expensive than a Cadillac.

13 Likes

Not just believable but likely. These guys are definitely spending enormous amounts of money on other things, after all. And even if they are fakes, that’s not really any better - because they fulfill the same role as conspicuous consumption.

Yeah, instead of gold and jewel-encrusted vestments and relics and churches, it’s obscenely overpriced sneakers. That’s not just worse, it’s actually rather sad.

16 Likes

“Thus saith the LORD; For three transgressions of Israel, and for four, I will not turn away the punishment thereof; because they sold the righteous for silver, and the poor for a pair of shoes.”
– Amos 2:6

13 Likes

This sounds like prosperity theology.

Anyway, here’s the Chinese version.

8 Likes

If I made my living strutting around on a stage I might consider quality footwear a good investment. I wonder how many pairs of good quality shoes I could get for the price of these examples of excess they seem to be wearing?

4 Likes

All the scummy preachers with the pumped up kicks
You’d better run, better run, faster than my judgment

18 Likes

“Your shoes are too cheap to kick-box with God.”

1 Like

Wonder what jesus paid for his sandals?

11 Likes

the question begs why would ANYONE spend that much on shoes?!?!

6 Likes