Megaphone vs. bagpipe

I agree that the bagpipes are another form of speech. Don’t know that others are really allowed to speak at the same time in the exact same place.

If you want a dedicated place to speak where you can eject hecklers, rent an auditorium.

In other words, the First Amendment only applies to the people that can afford renting speaking halls? I’m not sure that’s how the First Amendment works…

Are you saying the First Amendment applies to his megaphone, but not to her bagpipes? If so, why only one and not the other?

26 Likes

Picts or it didn’t happen.

29 Likes

Bands while they may be loud are pre arranged far in advance and everyone gets a heads up with flyers, announcements etc. so if you don’t like the noise you can skip school and teachers are likely to postpone tests. They also have to follow local noise laws which make allowances for pre arranged things but not the street preacher making that much noise and those things are very loud.

There was a guy on the corner of the main intersection by the nearby mall a good half mile plus away from my house preaching away with one of those. I could hear it inside my freaking house. Happily the popo were already on the way to pick the guy up when I called. Also having frequented the local outdoor music fests here in Seattle I generally could not hear stuff from half a mile away like I could hear that preacher.

10 Likes

I’m not.

9 Likes

That piper is brave and adorable. The hate-preacher is contemptible. But my real beef is with the person who shot the video sideways.

THAT ORIENTATION IS AN ABOMINATION!!!

20 Likes

Are you saying the First Amendment applies to his megaphone, but not to her bagpipes? If so, why only one and not the other?

See my earlier comment. (“I agree that the bagpipes are another form of speech. Don’t know that others are really allowed to speak at the same time in the exact same place.”)

If the preacher was permitted by the college to be there, then he has the First Amendment right to speak. If he didn’t get his permit, but the bagpiper did, then the bagpiper has the right to be there. From the video description, it appears that the bagpiper showed up to drown out the preacher so I’m guessing she didn’t have the proper permit.

Again, if you’re okay with the bagpiper drowning out this speaker but not a speaker that you agree with, then you’re supporting the heckler’s veto as opposed to everyone’s First Amendment rights.

I think I’ve seen this before… perhaps even on boingboing.

13 Likes

Umm that was @CarlMud not me…

1 Like

It’s a public space and she’s not preventing the preacher from speaking or even being heard.

In short nobody’s First Amendment rights are being violated.

11 Likes

I think you really need to see this one, it’s been going around for a while and it will explain a few things for you:

36 Likes

Oh, I agree it can’t be “pick and choose” who gets to walk on campus and spout religion, credit cards applications with 30% APR, etc.

I just wasn’t understanding why anybody but students and faculty should be allowed on campus. An earlier poster stated that it’s considered public property. While I understand that angle I would think that “guests” should, at least, check in with the office first.

(This is coming from a guy that used to crash Cal Tech parties all the time because they had the raddest nerdiest parties.)

3 Likes

Is there an audience for that guy gathered there? Or is it just someone making noise at passers-by joined by another?

4 Likes

@Ghost, as much as I love xkcd, I’m going to have to disagree with his analysis on the First Amendment. I had a class on just the First Amendment in law school, and litigated a First Amendment case against NYC. I’m not saying that I’m the sole authority on the subject, but I have some experience in this area…

Is there an audience for that guy gathered there? Or is it just someone making noise at passers-by joined by another?

Your First Amendment rights are not dependent upon whether or not you have an audience. If they did, the government could shut down a lot of blogs…

Then everyone is free to make amplified noise on the quad whether anyone else is listening or not.

5 Likes

So then you should understand that no one’s First Amendment rights are being violated here. It’s just a couple of people speaking near each other.

8 Likes

Parental visits, job fairs, tours, parties, team sports, etc.

College isn’t prison.

11 Likes

That’s High School. I never understand folks who look back on that time as the best ever…

16 Likes

Then everyone is free to make amplified noise on the quad whether anyone else is listening or not.

Not necessarily. Having an audience does not give you First Amendment rights. If you are acting within the allotted parameters (i.e., content-neutral restrictions), you are allowed to speak… but you’re not allowed to interrupt or disrupt other people’s speeches. That’s the speech equivalent of mob justice.