Melinda and Bill Gates to divorce

Originally published at: Melinda and Bill Gates to divorce | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I hope Melinda goes Mrs. X-Bezos with all that cash’ola. I hope…

35 Likes

You can always grow old together as a couple. What more could you want at this stage of life after putting 25 years into marriage? No, don’t tell me, go enjoy your billions of dollars.

7 Likes

Money doesn’t buy happiness. Lots of couples who don’t revv each other up separate, and that’s OK. Sometimes love is a power ballad. Sometime’s it’s a verse.

I hate Bill for a lot of reasons. Divorce isn’t one.

39 Likes

In retrospect I guess they should have gone with a medium easier to copy-edit than giant slabs of marble.

27 Likes

I guess their “foundation” wasn’t as strong as they thought.

24 Likes

That’s not an easy question and the answers are even harder. Not every couple moves ahead through life at the same pace and the person you were at the start of a relationship is seldom the same person after two or three decades together.

18 Likes

Their youngest child is 18. It doesn’t seem unusual to me that a lot of couples get divorced when their youngest child reaches 18.

20 Likes

Perhaps Melina wants to get back to creating a sequel to Microsoft Bob.

9 Likes

She left Bill for Bob, I never saw that coming…

17 Likes

And supposedly there is/was no pre-nup. (there’s a quip that goes Alaska should split itself in half to become the biggest and second biggest states just to annoy Texas. So two new Billionaires coming right up)

8 Likes

Bill had already pledged to give away 99% of his wealth.
The working question is if she’s going to give 99% of her 50%…

9 Likes

Actually it doesn’t look that hard. Move the “Bill” slab down one space, and flip the “& Melinda” slabs over to expose their (presumably uncarved) backsides, and nobody would be the wiser.

12 Likes

tenor-4

2 Likes

Minutes before reading this news I watched this clip on Last Week Tonight where Melinda had an interesting way of disputing one of the conspiracy theories about Bill and vaccines, and his facial reaction to what she was saying seemed to indicate that he wasn’t really amused:

I suppose like many couples prior to announcing their divorce they’ve probably been having relationship problems for a while.

20 Likes

It is interesting to see my cognitive biases in action. I know absolutely nothing of what they don’t think is working. Yet I am sure it’s Bill’s fault somehow.

3 Likes

It’s only a problem if either one of them adopts a differnt surname.

We continue to share a belief in that mission and will continue our work together at the foundation, but we no longer believe we can grow together as a couple in the next phase of our lives…

Then, it’ll be the Bill X and Melinda Y Foundation.

Looks like this is relevant again:

8 Likes

I haven’t looked at his plan to donate his wealth and net worth reports are notoriously spurious, but the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has been around since 2000 and this plan to donate everything started in 2010. His net worth was 50 billion in 2010 his current net worth is 130 billion. By my calculations he plans to live forever.

6 Likes