Melinda and Bill Gates to divorce

Unless they decide to dedicate their charity efforts to wholly separate causes, in which case it would become the “Bill or Melinda Gates Foundation.”

6 Likes

That’s the thing I couldn’t get my head around either. If he’s serious about giving money away, why is he actually hoarding more of it?

I think it only begins to make, well not sense because it doesn’t, but some kind of coherent view if you look at how his market fundamentalism undermines his vaccine initiative and realise that him getting more and more rich is a good thing because he is good. Because he is giving money away it’s good if he hoards money.

It makes about as much sense as his idea that we should tax robot’s labour to have a level playing field with workers. No Bill. We should tax capital, because that is what robots are economically, not labour.

And use that tax for people

12 Likes

Now that I look at it more closely, it looks like this sign was designed to accommodate a breakup of the senior partners. It’s put together like LEGOs.
That’s some righteous planning there.

7 Likes

I thought that would be the “Bill xor Melinda Gates Foundation”

17 Likes

This was my first thought too. I can only hope the conspiracy theorists don’t go on about this… :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I’ve been asking for this from Microsoft products for years.

22 Likes

Even Legos ‘bond’ is likely to be sturdier; looking at it, 5 will get you 10 that’s a facade cemented onto one solid stone.

4 Likes

I could see that coming. The guy never shuts up about Clippy.

It looks like you’re trying to write an divorce decree
Would you like help?
Yes No

2 Likes

My theory is that the etherealness of the stated reason for divorce is proportional to the number of sordid affairs with employees that actually caused it.

1 Like

Are Elon and Grimes solid? ‘Cause I’m thinking Bezos, Gates and Musk would make one hell of a power thruple.

1 Like

17 Likes

Can’t he just tweak her nanobots?

3 Likes

What’s that to stand in the way of billions of dollars? Just throw some money at it. /s

6 Likes

There is a meaningful difference between actively gathering more money and just having things you own become more wealthy while you own them.

To my knowledge Gates hasn’t been actively pursuing wealth for a long time. He just happens to own a lot of shares in one of the largest companies in the world, which is making a lot of money. By the same logic I am ‘Hoarding’ money because my house has gone up in value.

That being said, I am of the belief that anything over about $10-50 Million is plenty for anybody. You are still impossibly rich and will never suffer, but the rest can and should go to making the world better for others.

On the gripping hand if I thought my money was going to be used to support the horrific and destructive grift that is much of the US military industrial complex I’d probably be looking for alternatives. (Note: said comment is not a denigration of actual service persons, only the corrupt system they are serving).

11 Likes

He’s back Babyyyyy

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I read many years ago that Bill and Melinda intended to leave $10MM for each of their kids and give all the rest away for exactly the reasons you describe. And I believe they will.

(And I say that as a 1990s Mac fanboy who was at the time convinced that Bill Gates was the most evil man in the world.)

2 Likes

If Bill Gates can’t find true love, what chance does a schmuck like me have? /s

1 Like

I mentioned that exact clip to my husband this morning when he told me the news. Both my husband and John Oliver were both excited by what she said and Gates’ reaction. I thought they both read too much into it, but I guess they were correct?

6 Likes

and different fonts.

tenor

4 Likes