Members to regulars?

Resistance is clearly futile.

1 Like

I agree. I assume my problem is the same:

• of topics created in the last 100 days, must have viewed 25%
  • of posts created in the last 100 days, must have read 25%

There are many posts I view but decide after a day or two to stop reading because the comment thread has gotten down to 2-3 people arguing some fine point I don’t give a flip about. 75% of the thread might happen after that point, in terms of post count, but it’s diminishing returns.

And let’s face it: I’m not the target audience for a lot of the posts, so it’s very likely I don’t read 25% of them.

Personally, I think there should be an “Elders” or “Advisors” group as well, for people who have a specific skill set or life experience that is shared regularly, especially when it’s outside the norm for this crowd. Can’t imagine why that strikes me as a good idea. :wink:

12 Likes

Other than it’s specifically defined in @caze’s link?

For me the tough part was reading 25% of every single thing written by every single person. That’s a lot of percents when you maniacs keep shifting the goal by updating 4000-post topics.

Didn’t we go through this before? :wink:

1 Like

Yes… and quickly petered out with not real clarity on my part… but this has been much more useful.

1 Like

The main suggestion over there is to read that questions thread. Y’all are aware it’s over 10k comments long now, right?

Do you mean I get to jump right over Regular and go straight to Leader? :smile:

1 Like

Yes, consider it done. You also have unlimited sparkles.

3 Likes

I have… In fact, I had the first comment on that thing! But I don’t think it’s just one post, rather multiple or some percentage of posts?

Nananananana- LEADER, LEADER, LEADER!!!

1 Like

As I recall, it takes more than one flag to hide a post (except maybe spam).

2 Likes

To clarify: number of topics read (partially or fully) is a different stat from number of replies read, and both need to be over 25%. So if you missed a few thousand replies it makes a difference. Kind of an endurance sport, really.

2 Likes

Not only does mindysan have the first post in Questions, but post 10,063. I doubt that is the issue.

2 Likes

Damn it, three minutes before I can LIKE AGAIN!!!

That’s what I thought… So, it must be between one of those two things.

3 Likes

Why worry about all this. I mean, if you’re here and having fun, isn’t that OK, regardless of any ephemeral internet points or titles.

If we didn’t actually have a way of comparing “levels”, would anyone be worried about their place in the bbs hierarchy?

4 Likes

Speaking of that, wtf are the like rules?

1 Like

Yes, according to what I’ve read, those 25% read and 25% replies are the factors. If flags counted against it, they never would have made my a regular! When I became a regular, the first thing I did was complain that @Mindysan33 wasn’t a regular and nominate her. That’s when I saw that it is automatic.

3 Likes

I guess I’m not taking this too seriously… if I was really upset and thought I was being slighted, I really wouldn’t hang around here.

That’s quite true. I guess the point of hierarchy is to reward people who hang around and make it a worthwhile place to be in the first place? But that can also create tensions and artifical divisions. The fact that it happens automatically is meant to make it less “keeping people out” ish, and eliminate bias in creating the hierarchies that do exist?

But you’d have to ask the architects of the system why they do what they do?

Cause you’re great, that’s why!!!

2 Likes

MAXLIKES = 100, I think.

Per day, don’t think it changes with trust level.

I think this is why they changed the ‘title’ from ‘Leader’ to ‘Regular’ (via ‘Veteran’, which I kinda liked).
And why lots of us don’t apply the titles anyway. I preferred the ones @beschizza randomly bestowed on people.

2 Likes

Wow, that was cool. I watched your edits materialize.

2 Likes