Members to regulars?

I’d say that if we want Regular to actually mean ‘regular’, rather than say, ‘addict’, then the requirements should probably be more like, logged in >40 of the last 100 days, read >15% of articles and posts.

8 Likes

But WHAT kool-aide? That Apple is evil and anyone that supports them is a shitlord? Or that all the writers here have them along with 70% of the readers and the barrage of positive posts about Apple? Or that gamergate is horrible. Except the 50% of the people that think it was about ethics, not misogyny. Or the people that think politically correct overload is too much and white people should be able to use the n-word because we are post-racial? Counterbalanced by the other half that have to put up trigger warnings on anything that may be offensive to 0.0001% of the population???

I disagree with BB about half the posts that are posted, and its one of the reasons I’m here, but it seems like there is no middle ground in a lot of the posts as well. I’d LOVE to drink the koolaide but sometimes I jump in a post and then spend the next thirty minutes wondering which side is going to misinterpret it, so I delete the post before I ever click REPLY. And I think its damn funny most of the time reading through the comments a few hours later and realize I might have been right!

So I’d like the drink the koolaide, but I never know who’s serving it today! Its impossible not to get flagged if you aren’t in the cliche no matter how much you are drinking!

4 Likes

Y’all are making me wonder how prevalent flagging is, actually. Do we know if we’ve been flagged?

3 Likes

Actually, apparently we do not flag enough.

3 Likes

A sphere has an infinite number of sides.

You had Apple/GamerGate/Nword?

I had Trump/CopShoots/FloridaMan.

HAND??? cruel insensitive human joke…exterminate!

(and i guess “technically” dalek are cyborg? or is it just an organism with the worst designed exo-armor ever? any whovians care to chime in and derail this thread? ;-P)

5 Likes

Regulars can hide a post on the first flag. Because we’re awesome like that.

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve been flagged at all. At least, I’ve never been told so. But Falcor has come along and swallowed a few of my comments. Mostly ones that I shat-posted while too drunk for decorum, and I’m glad our Don’t-Push-Your-Luck Dragon cleaned up my diarrhea of the mouth (hands?)

In anycase, I avoid flagging unless it’s something that’s blatantly trolling without any merit, or if it’s spam. I’ve only flagged maybe 3 times. But apparently CodingHorror wants us flagging everything that “doesn’t fit the community”, but seeing as we mostly have a pretty progressive bent, and are mostly (at least in principle) tolerant of stuff we just don’t feel right about flagging posts that aren’t obviously trying to get someone killed.

5 Likes

Did you hear the one about spherical assholes? They look like an asshole from every direction.

5 Likes

Isn’t the armor their lifesupport? That would count in my book as cyberization, since they need the armor to survive.

They’re classified as a Cyborg biological type on the DW wiki.

Not a whovian, just generally familiarized with the lore. Much like how I’ve never read any HP Lovecraft but am definitely voting Cthulu/Dagon if Sanders doesn’t win the nomination. Why settle for a lesser evil?

5 Likes

ah…now i understand the meaning of regular. i need to add more fiber to my posts. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@Falcor PM’d me once quite some time ago, it was likely because someone flagged one of my comments.
And a couple of times after flagging I’ve gotten a response as to the action the admin took. So I’m pretty sure you would know if you’ve been flagged. Or at least if the flag was enforced.

3 Likes

Cthulu/Dagon vs Trump/Palin…hmmm I’m not sure I agree about which one is the lesser evil… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Ummm, last I checked I was a regular and I’m fairly certain that not all of my flags automatically hide posts. I think a regular can hide a spam post with just one flag. Flagging for more ideological reasons still requires more than one flag.

1 Like

Huh, I remember reading somewhere on the BBS that we could hide posts with just a single flag from a regular. I guess I’m misremembering, or it was just suggested or something.

ETA: From the Discourse FAQ

Users at trust level 3 can...
  • recategorize and rename topics
  • access a private “frequent flier’s lounge” category only visible to users at trust level 3 and higher
  • have all their links followed (we remove automatic nofollow)
  • spam flags cast on TL0 user posts immediately reach the action threshold
  • Daily like limit increased by 2 ×

So I misremembered. We have the ability to single-flag-hide spam. Which is really the limit of the powers I ought to have around here anyway.

2 Likes

General Casey: [talking on phone] Hello? This is General Casey. I get to meet the Martian Ambassador! Ain’t that great? Oh, it’s a hell of an honor. But didn’t I always tell you honey, if I just stayed in place and never spoke up, good things are bound to happen. Yeah… Ok
[makes kissing noises and ends the phone call]

1 Like

Bodhi par tzar funni!

1 Like

It’s just a common metaphor. Also a physicist said it, so it must be true XD

True that. We normally bash idiots with logic and facts quite effectively.

3 Likes