Men in shorts operating computers

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/16/men-in-shorts-operating-comput.html

5 Likes

Can anyone identify these computers? I thought I knew old units, but these are all a mystery to me. I think I recognize a CDC-6000, but the others I don’t know.

2 Likes

Dude in the second pic is naked from his waist to his knee-highs

6 Likes

People forget, those big old mainframes generated a lot of heat, why do you think the “geek look” became short sleeve oxford shirts and clip-on ties, so they could show off their muscled forearms?

7 Likes

So men can’t be comfortable? Need to be shamed into “covering up”? Those rooms got very warm (and humid from all the thigh sweat LMAO)

2 Likes

At least these all seem to be in Australia, where things can be warm all year round.

One local here was known for wearing shorts even in the cold winter. There was a feature about him in the paper. I even met him once, the time he was giving away a Sun 3/50

1 Like

I’m wearing shorts and operating a computer right now.

12 Likes

More evidence that work-jorts are simply a myth.

We’re just having a little fun…

… is what people would say if this were Women In Miniskirts Operating Computers

6 Likes

You gotta admit, this is as sexy as it possibly can get.

3 Likes

This is a sexy post not a shamy post

8 Likes

The de riguer thing to do would be to photoshop in enormous spiders and other unpleasant avatars of nature’s remorseless hatred for humanity and append the headline with “in Australia”

4 Likes

my bad. Enjoy!

1 Like

Think the last one is a DEC (Digital) LA36

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/computinghistory/la36.html

(And the second one, with the two round screens, is the coolest thing I’ve ever seen :-))

zim-gir-eye-twitch

3 Likes

I get wearing shorts in Australia, but why the long socks

1 Like

Me. In shorts. At a PC: Occasional weekend O/T at my first employer. Oh, for those days.

In the States: Late 70s/early 80s-ish. It was a thing then; NBA and school gym influences.

Pics or it didn’t happen.

2 Likes

First one is a PC clone, so probably much later than the others. Harris (3rd picture) was a fairly big deal in electronic equipment – still exists, I think – but I don’t think they made computers, so they probably just made that terminal.

Protection agaisnt flesh eating spiders

I assume

1 Like