Men upset by cartoon

I’ve been mulling this over as well. Even if one were to narrow down to a single thing and assume that they are together… There’s no context for the conversation.

Not terribly keen on the intent of baiting people into an argument, but that’s probably the whole point.

1 Like

This seems to be it. You can interpret art, but you can’t explain it. Her wondering what it means is an opening for his opinion. Her reaction suggests that he gave her an “authoritative” answer instead of a personal insight – and since his only apparent “authority” comes from being a man (he’s not wearing a docent’s uniform or name tag, for example), he’s mansplaining.

“Mansplaining” also describes when a man tries to explain something to a woman who is already well-versed in the topic (and likely knows more about it than the man in question). That scenario doesn’t appear to apply here, though.

13 Likes

Yes, personalization of innocuous comments is at the root of many unnecessary conflicts.

2 Likes

It is a double edged lightsaber for sure.

1 Like

My first thought was that if a woman said aloud, “I wonder what it means,” my response would naturally be, “What do you think it means?” rather than offering my opinion. Of course, I’m probably just as likely to offer her my opinion of the meaning.

I also think there are way too many mountains and not nearly enough mole hills lately.

8 Likes

discuss the art

in the context of this cartoon, it seems to me there are only two possibilities - either:

a) the man told the woman what he thinks the painting means, but she thought he thought he was telling her what it actually means, and she didn’t like that, or

b) the man was trying to tell the woman what the painting actually means based on some actual or assumed knowledge, and she didn’t want to hear it

it’s a finely shaded distinction for a “meet your match at the museum” first date kind of conversation, and she didn’t give him much benefit of the doubt - i wouldn’t think it’s going to work out for those two - wouldn’t for me - then again, takes all kinds, different strokes, all that

1 Like

Why talk to anyone, is what I wonder.

16 Likes

If these people aren’t “together” (as in on a date, or as in they’re friends), than that dude needs to learn how to respect someone’s personal space.

1 Like

and yet… here you are :wink:

3 Likes

Exactly!

5 Likes

The beauty of the cartoon is that it is not really about the two people featured. It seems to me to be left intentionally ambiguous and open to interpretation, just like 99% of social interactions.

7 Likes

I

19 Likes

It’s the price you have to pay, to listen to people?

3 Likes

Thanks for “womansplaining” what my spouse’s emotional state was and what I did wrong.

Thank you for so simply and eloquently demonstrating that it isn’t just men that do it.

Yeah, I know exactly WHY she got upset. I was there.

10 Likes

Man to man, when I talk that way (the way you are speaking in that singular comment) I am NOWHERE NEAR where I credit myself as being. Just sayin!

7 Likes

16 Likes

13 Likes

Is this the new “Christ, What an asshole”?

4 Likes

18 Likes