Menus of the 1850s and 1860s

Yeah, I’ll have six bottles of Chateau Latour Forty-five… and a double Jeroboam of champagne.

3 Likes

Meat and sticky booze. What’s not to like?

3 Likes

Pepperami (slim jim basically, for you Cousins) and a bottle of buckfast my good man. Maybe a chocolate bar for dessert then more uppers. That’s the ticket.

7 Likes

When I was in England many many years ago (to play with ancient shields, thank you forever Dr. Ian Stead) I heard several arguments concerning the proper placement of the cheese course in the sequence of the meal. My British relatives spend a lot of time in France, so they had opinions.

Ever the Ugly American, I suggested one should put the cheese course before the meal, as part of the preprandial noshing array, along with cocktail shrimp and smoked fishes. This heresy was not well received, but it’s the way my mother does it so therefore it is canonically correct.

11 Likes

The reason for the alcohol is because anything not containing alcohol would be a potential source of disease. Water was contaminated, there was no refrigeration – so all you had was wine, beer, etc. You might also notice that most of the meat was cured – a process that was just revealed as being highly cancerous. This is no surprise as digestive system cancers Decreased when refrigeration was introduced. People talk about how bad food is for us today, but the truth is that there was plenty of bad food in our diets in the 1850’s and before.

7 Likes

I was about to say the same thing, Bryan_Lagos. Also, any non-alcoholic beverages - coffee, tea, chocolate - are made with boiled water.

These menus are necessarily seasonal in offering fresh food. One for March has potatoes, turnips, onions, and beans for vegetables. Only the summer menus offer fresh green veggies.

2 Likes

Personally, I think the important story here is that, OMG, they had digital cameras in the 1850s!

3 Likes

1 Like

Plausible:

6 Likes

Won’t lie, I have done this on more than one occasion.

2 Likes

Make it “mildly cancerous”. There are agents that are way WAY worse, and bacon is worth the risk.

11 Likes

God if I was transported back in time I’d be craving a good curry. Really really boring food.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this Cory. Another even more amazing collection is the New York Public Library. Their amazing crowdsourced effort to transcribe their 35,000 menus is creating a massive big data resource for all sorts of interesting queries. Got a few minutes to kill? Help them out at http://menus.nypl.org/

1 Like

Someone at Barnum’s sure loved tripe, it is the only item you could have broiled, fried, and stewed.

4 Likes

Every decent brunch/breakfast at high end hotels will have Mimosas (Champagne and juice) and Bloody Marys and sometimes a sangria.

Here…just for Cory: This is the breakfast menu at Disney World’s Grand Floridian…https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/grand-floridian-resort-and-spa/grand-floridian-cafe/menus/
Which features 4 specialty cocktails.

2 Likes

Also to note. In the 1850 and 1860’s you were better off drinking wine for breakfast than the water

4 Likes

Us low enders love boozy breakfasts too. Bloody Marys and coffee with Bailey’s Irish Cream is certainly standard where I’m at. I like the whole idea of breakfast wines too.

Less interested in boiled beef.

1 Like

Right-o. Last fall we visited a local farm that was demonstrating making apple cider. They said typically the children would drink around - I want to say it was at least a pint a day but think it was a quart - and the older people more. It was safer to drink than water and I guess they had a tolerance for it.

2 1/2 o’clock? I’m using that all the time from now on.

2 Likes

I’m not much of a drinker…I prefer to sip at some B&B or Drambuie, but I certainly could drink a bottle of Asti by myself.

Anyhow, not enough duck. I would figure it would be more plentiful in that time, perhaps? Or maybe harder to procure?

1 Like