Metawatch. (Formerly known as Facebookwatch.)

Meta sues ex infra VP for allegedly stealing top-secret datacenter blueprints

2 Likes

(“End-to-end encryption” is a comforting buzzphrase, but always check the fine-print.)

5 Likes

Back to my old rule: I always assume the worst I can imagine is what’s happening, then assume I lack imagination.

6 Likes

If they want Threads to be federated, they better fix that.

5 Likes

It’s bad. There are known hate groups dedicated to harassing trans, gay, PoC, women etc, and no matter how often they are reported, it never goes ‘against community standards’. I follow a page dedicated to alerting people they’ve been shared in those groups, since blocking the people posting that stuff to those groups is pretty much the only thing we can do to protect ourselves. Gods know Meta doesn’t care.

5 Likes
3 Likes

ETA:

4 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes

3 Likes

5 Likes
3 Likes

I wish they would actually do something about the parents who make money by intentionally sharing creepshots of their kids too

1 Like
3 Likes

Since I have a single-user instance, I rarely have random crap invading my feed and haven’t had to make the decision yet about blocking Threads.

6 Likes
3 Likes

My wife does social media for local groups in the SCA, and this came up recently:

Meta has informed the admins of groups¹ that they’re defaulting everyone in to their AI chatbot, which will

1. Learn from the existing conversations in the group (all your content are belong to AI), and
  2. If a question is made, and not answered within a stupidshort amount of time (I think five minutes was mentioned), then the AI would jump in and answer it for you, based on what it had “learned” already, and
  3. The information provided by the AI would be entirely the responsibility of the group and its admins, Meta takes no responsibility, etc., etc. Which means if the bot tells someone something incorrect, or dangerous, or legally actionable, it’s the admins’s fault for not busywatching their groups 24/7 and jumping in on all questions within five minutes.

Also, did I mention that Meta was automatically opting everyone in to this, and you have to go find the (new) magic setting in the group config to opt out.

No guarantees that the opt-out option will work forever, of course. In the meantime, if you run a public facing FB group, I would recommend you find this clickyswitch and opt out post haste or sooner.

(1) the public facing things, rather than the private must-be-a-member-to-see things which people keep mixing up and advertising events to people who already know about it and hiding it from prospective new members who might be interested but all the advertising is between the existing old-timers, and they don’t notice until they realise that it’s only the same few people turning up to things and there are never any new faces.

5 Likes

Meta’s communications director Andy Stone has been sentenced in absentia to six years imprisonment in Russia for “justifying terrorism.”

Meta was declared an extremist organization by Russia two years ago after the social media website refused to moderate posts calling for the death of Russian soldiers invading Ukraine. And late last year, Stone was added to Russia’s most wanted list.

[…]

3 Likes