Mexico City Metro threatened by subsidence

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/14/mexico-city-metro-threatened-by-subsidence.html

7 Likes

Everyone said it was daft to build a city in a swamp.

14 Likes

20"? That’s some slump.

4 Likes

I was just looking at a nice reconstruction of pre-Columbian Tenochtitlan, comparing it to modern maps of Mexico City, marveling at how the lake had completely disappeared and wondering what kind of impacts building on reclaimed lake bed must have had… Well, I guess this would be a major one.

I was slightly surprised to see how elevated pathways in Tenochtitlan had remained major streets in the modern city - which is the sort of thing that normally wouldn’t be surprising, given how ancient Roman walls and roads have determined the layouts of modern European cities, but the whole area around Tenochtitlan was so radically transformed, it’s surprising that any trace remains.

14 Likes

Ooh, links?

4 Likes

This one?

8 Likes

Yep, that’s the one!

1 Like

That is scary - but somehow not the worst example in the World.

Some parts of Jakarta are sinking by 15cm per year. North Jakarta has sunk even more - by 2.5m in the last ten years, and now half of the city sits below sea level.

Given this is a coastal megacity, the consequences include a massive risk of flooding and gradual inundation.

2 Likes

Have they called in Ron Hamburger yet?

1 Like

but to abandon the cities? wouldnt be the worst of solutions, seeing how (mega) cities are the cancer of earth, evergrowing and consuming everything to barely function.

Well, they could maybe make like Chicago in the 1850s-60s and jack up the city, fill it in underneath, and keep on living there. Oh, wait, we can’t do that sort of thing anymore, can we? There’s not enough money going to the already rich if the state just fixes the problem for everyone without charging them for the privilege. Sorry, my bad.

(edit: possessives are your friend. And spelling.)

2 Likes

It has been coming for a long time. Pulling water out of the ground beneath the city has doomed the place.

3 Likes

The real Montezuma’s Revenge …

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.