Michael Avenatti convicted of trying to extort Nike

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/14/michael-avenatti-convicted-of.html

2 Likes

Hey, you need a “criminal” lawyer, I know a guy…

17 Likes

20 Likes

Don’t forget to list ‘prospective presidential candidate’ to his bio - given the current situation in Washington the article will make more sense.

6 Likes

I’m sure Attorney General Barr will want to review this.

17 Likes

As I recall he had to ask for special consideration from the court for scheduling because he was facing indictments on both coasts. The carbon footprint this man is racking up is an offense in itself.

#CrimeLocal

10 Likes

7 Likes

Why can’t this guy get a break, say like tRump did? Axe’ing for a friend…

4 Likes

To think I once actually had hopes that this guy could take Trump down a few notches…

11 Likes

He’s not the hero we want, he’s not the hero we need…oh, hell, he’s not a hero at all.

18 Likes

Great case study in “the enemy of my enemy is not necessarily my friend.”

14 Likes

For those who failed to study Poland in 1939. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Don’t try to extort ancient Greek goddesses. They’ll seriously fuck your shit up. And one should especially avoid going to trial against the Goddess of Victory: otherwise, you can expect to lose.

9 Likes

I am sure there is some legalistic distinction between extortion and plea deals, but they look an awful lot alike from outside the self justifying legal system.

But if our plea deal loving legal system convicted him, and just because of who he is, I am sure he crossed the line.

1 Like
  1. The enemy of my enemy is my enemy’s enemy. No more. No less.
8 Likes
5 Likes

What I want to know is: was Nike actually illegally paying amateur athletes? Now I’m just really freaking curious about that, especially since part of the deal was $25-50 million earmarked by Nike for an internal investigation.

Edit:

Maybe? Apparently he alleged Nike was engaged in criminal conduct. Definitely extortion, though.

Oh, that is so me. enemy of my enemy sort of thinking, I suppose.

Who’s Franklin?

Oh snap, they’re onto our paying people thing. Flush the stubs, it’s the auditors!

3 Likes