Michael Moore: Planet of the Humans available for free

It’s not something to do with epidemiology. It is more likely that any given subject which is hot enough will draw attention, and journalists which are trying to look for other opinions, for balanced reporting. I don’t want to generalise this in a derogatory way (even after following y’all’s updates on F** News and the likes), I think this is actually a valuable strategy most of the times. Even now, I consider it generally sound. But we are in a large pandemic, and first and foremost, fact checking and perspective are of paramount importance. As is a background check.

In the case I posted, the newspaper in question gave a forum to a known supporter of a right-wing party (including an open right-wing extremist branch of fascists they chose not to expel from their party) who has a track record of giving bullshit advise. They gave it to him because he has a controversial view on the measures against COVID-19 and SARS-CoV-2.
Which were debunked several times.
That’s irresponsible.

The situation is in full swing now. The prime minister of Northrine-Westphalia is blowing the same tune, on a different scale. I haven’t watched his TV appearance yesterday, but apparently he is accusing epidemiologists and virologists of moving the goalposts. We have had a slighly disturbing discussion about this touching this on the BBS before (R0 values, yada yada), and now it has arrived in the political ‘arena’ close to me.

For the record, Northrhine-Westphalia is the Bundesland with the largest population, the highest population density on a state level, and several centres of extremely high population density on communal and city level. I’ve got family and friends there. The majority (seriously, I kid you not) of them has pre-existing conditions.

This “balancing” without providing proper context and proper background checks is destroying my mental health. Well, I knew it would be hard.

At least we don’t yet have someone ‘thinking out loud’ while on camera about injecting disinfectants.

14 Likes