Michael Moore warns that Donald Trump is on course to repeat 2016 win

5 Likes

Blockquote: ā€œDonā€™t leave it to the Democrats to get rid of Trump. YOU have to get rid of Trump. WE have to wake up every day for the next 67 days and make sure each of us are going to get a hundred people out to vote. ACT NOW!ā€

As troublesome as Mr. Moore can be on certain subjects, I wholeheartedly agree with his assessment in this situation.

15 Likes

agreed. even if you donā€™t think that trump is going to win, act as if he is. Always fight as if you are five points behind.

12 Likes

I agree with much of what Mr. Moore says and does, and Iā€™m a big fan of his works.

But I also have to acknowledge that heā€™s got an inherent interest in Donald Trump winning. Itā€™s good for his business.

then he would not be encouraging people to vote if he wished to further his interest, yes?

9 Likes

I mean, I think he believes that this is already over and is just looking forward to saying he was right.

I still donā€™t really forgive him for the ā€œPlanet of the Humansā€ sellout he did.

5 Likes

The same is true for BoingBoing.

I mean, I certainly am not saying ā€œGosh BoingBoing isnā€™t like it used to beā€ , but I definitely do miss the days where we werenā€™t seeing ten to fifteen stories at a time on the front page that are basically extensions on ā€œDonald Trump is a horrible person.ā€ I get that itā€™s important to call this stuff out and jump all over it and be aware of itā€¦ but I also really do miss the interesting things that came out of here when we didnā€™t have Trump fully blowing out the news cycle.

4 Likes

i miss not having to think about politics all the time too but when you have an insane fascist running things and almost half of america willingly encouraging it, it kinda takes precedent. I used to care about cartoons and rock and roll and gadgets a lot more and now Iā€™m constantly in panic mode over whatever new horrible thing is happening today. I know thereā€™s always been bad shit happening in the world, but for the most part i could rest assured that someone was trying to fix most things and keep stuff in check. that isnā€™t much happening anymore.

10 Likes

It sounds to me that Moore is just engaging in pessimism and claiming that polling always fails in a way that benefits the Republicans. Ie. bog-standard progressive/leftist doommongering weā€™ve been hearing for four years.

1 Like

Doubtful. Did you read his post from last week? Michael Moore thinks Trump/Trump people will kill him. It was written in a way that was reasoned, not hyperbole. Death is pretty bad for business, dontcha think?

3 Likes

MM thought heā€™d be killed by Bush Sr / NRA people over Bowling for Columbine, by Bush Jr people for Farenheit 9/11, by Trumpers for Farenehit 11/9 , by who knows who for Capitalism : A love story, by ā€œBIG GREENā€ for Planet of the Humans, etc. And those are just his movie things.

Heā€™s got a whole list of other people who will kill him for his non-movie political activism, most recently in his hometown of Flint, Michigan.

He always thinks heā€™ll be killed by someone , and always has. And maybe itā€™ll come true, maybe it wonā€™t, but this isnā€™t new behavior by him. Itā€™s his usual.

2 Likes

This is starting to get close to ā€œdonā€™t listen to cancer researchers because they have a financial interest in the continued existence of cancerā€ territory.

6 Likes

one of these things is not like the other. [ note: planet of humans is not about the trump family ]

moore has had a successful career of mixing documentary filmmaking and activism ā€“ he never needed bunkerboy before, and certainly wonā€™t need him after. there are plenty of other white supremacist republicans, bi-partisan corporate government take overs, and environmental catastrophes to mine.

heā€™ll be fine.

5 Likes

As someone whose mom has cancer, I know for a fact cancer researchers have a much bigger financial interest in the cure for it. (Even though that term is broad, etc.) The cure to cancer instantly means trillions to whomever finds it.

That said, no, thatā€™s not what Iā€™m getting at.

What Iā€™m getting at is that Michael Moore doesnā€™t know how to be optimistic, has a history of repeatedly being opportunistic and somewhat sketchy on facts, and so of COURSE heā€™ll say that Trumpā€™s going to win despite all the polling saying different.

And before people jump in with the ā€œthe polls were wrong on Hillaryā€, they werenā€™t.

Thatā€™s kind of what Iā€™m saying here. Heā€™s a pessimist. Eternally. Him continuing that streak isnā€™t news.

1 Like

there are a couple of things iā€™ve read lately that are troubling. first, that while support for black lives matter is still high, it has recently slipped some.

second is this:

Though advocates believe true equality will not be achieved until all Americans are willing to grapple with racism, the survey showed that just 36% of those polled said they had taken concrete action to better understand racial issues after George Floydā€™s killing.

white america refuses to examine itā€™s role in the treatment of black people. itā€™s very disheartening, and that plus the meme of looting and rioting seems like a recipe for trump winning to me.

5 Likes

He didnā€™t say Trump is going to win, he said heā€™s on the same course he was on in 2016. And itā€™s hard to argue that; he was at a not-dissimilar place in the polls at the time and Hillary almost certainly would have won if not for Comeyā€™s 11th-hour announcement about the FBI investigation thing.

I think we would be hopelessly naive to assume there wonā€™t be a similar 11th-hour ā€œscandalā€ hitting the news cycle to damage Biden, especially since Trump has now politicized the FBI (along with every other Federal agency) to act as an extension of his own campaign.

None of this means that Trumpā€™s victory is inevitable, but I donā€™t think thatā€™s Mooreā€™s message. His message is that we cannot allow the same tactics that gave Trump the election in 2016 to work again. A lot of horrible shit is going to go down and we need to be prepared for it.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.