Michael Steele on the Republican party: "My, how the mighty have fallen"

I wouldn’t give them that much credit really

Steele was a figurehead Republicans put forward while they were pretending not to be white supremacists that year, but he didn’t represent, much less lead, any kind of major faction in the party

and Cheney is a legacy candidate who inherited everything she has ever had, including most of her prior jobs, her current office, and all of her political opinions, from You Know Who

17 Likes

when asked if he is still a Republican. “Yes I am, and you know why? 'Cause it just pisses them off.”

“Look at meeee, I’m not like the other trollies.”

7 Likes

It was time go sink back into the swamp, their skin was getting dry.

6 Likes

You know what they call someone who fucks goats ironically.

A former Republican National Committee chair.

8 Likes

I suspect that’s because the RNC chair doesn’t actually have that much political power in the party, but is more of a figure head that does what he or she is told. They don’t need someone who is an intellectual. They need someone who can be seen as making a political statement (having a Black man or a woman as the chair is meant to counter calls of racism or misogyny aimed at the party) and being the mouthpiece to spout whatever the real leaders of the party tell him to spout.

10 Likes

The 19th century when they were progressive and even had Marxist lawmakers?

They’re far from weak, they’ve found a dangerously active and viable strategy of being mask-off authoritarians and/or fascists for their electorate. It seems that the fundamental difference between the Republicans and Democrats today is the former refuses to accept democratic outcomes and the latter does. That’s really scary to me.

6 Likes

Rep. Nearman might have to bow out. He’s got a bad case of COVID-19.

1 Like

One of these days, Donald Trump will die. Even after that, the GQP will continue to worship his ghost. High priests will hold seances to ascertain his will. I don’t know if human sacrifices are in the works, but I wouldn’t put it past them.

2 Likes

jim and ron

5 Likes

I prefer the term ‘Fascist Cult’ to describe it.

It has been a steady progression downwards since Goldwater.
And they have by no means reached rock bottom, what with the likes of Hawley, Cruz, Jordan, Cotton, etc. waiting in the wings. They threw the shovels away long ago & are now using excavators.

Oh? And what office does he hold now?
It’s not like he was ever much more than an ineffective token.

That’s because it’s his party, now.

It’s not ‘desperation’. They have no intention of ‘moving the country forward’. They just want power.
And ‘embracing diversity’?
When was that ever an attribute of that party, especially after Nixon’s Southern Strategy?

Got a memory like a sieve, eh, Steele?
HWSNBN got more votes the second time around; a lot of Americans have gone full Fascist Cultist.

And that is going to depend on if the Voting Rights bill gets signed into law. If not, then the Jim Crow laws & gerrymandering by a number of States are going to make things very difficult for those not in the cult.

Maybe so, but probably not for the reason you might think.

EDIT: tyop

3 Likes

I get your analogy.
But Frankenstein’s monster had far more humanity than any of the current GQP rank and file :frowning:
And the mobs came after it - not at all what we are seeing now.
Hmmm, need a better analogy…

7 Likes

death-cult is my standard descriptor.

5 Likes

He also didn’t show for his arraignment hearing Tuesday. Unlike most people, he was given a new hearing date for after the legislative session. I’m not sure why - he’s been AWOL from the legislature for weeks. It’s not like his job is keeping him from showing up to court via video conference

6 Likes

Damn! I can’t believe I forgot that part!
So, Fascist Death-Cult it is!
Thanks for the reminder!

5 Likes

Germans often prefer Goethe’s Die Zauberlehrling (The Sorceror’s Apprentice) as an analogy for setting events in motion that escape your control. Though the poem (and the Disney adaptation of Dukas’ music) have the old master come back and restore order, the message is still that whoever got things rolling fucked up.

Die ich rief, die Geister
werd ich nun nicht los!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.