Michael's employee scratch card "You've won an unpaid time off!"

Originally published at: Michael's employee scratch card "You've won an unpaid time off!" | Boing Boing

12 Likes

Like the boss who tells everyone “let’s close up a few hours early, it’s friday” and then makes everyone clock out.

Um, thanks?

51 Likes

or my personal favorite that i see all the time

“hey its the owners/managers birthday and we are all throwing in some money to get them a gift, can i put you down for 50 dollars?”

right boss, ill get right on that after i walk home to my single room apartment in a superfund area that i can barely pay rent on because i dont make a living wage.

48 Likes

You just know whatever HR manager that came up with this gem of an idea got a raise and a promotion for it.

39 Likes

The most distressing part of this is that unpaid time off is actually a desirable prize for a lot of people in retail jobs. "Congratulations, you won not getting fired for taking care of personal or family obligations that don’t qualify for government protected unpaid leave!

54 Likes

That tears it – from now on, I’m doing all my craft shopping at Hobby Lobb–D’OH!

40 Likes

23 Likes

My favorite boss was the one who told us “Don’t come in the week between Xmas and New Year’s; just put down that you worked on your timesheets and if anyone has a problem I’ll deal with it.”

The people working at Michael’s always seem to be deeply unhappy so I’m not totally surprised. I’ve always assumed that the signature scent that assaults your nostrils upon entering Michaels was due to scented candles or something but now I’m thinking it’s some sort of olfactory mind control drug.

27 Likes

Not quite the same thing but I’m reminded of a time years ago when I worked at an animation studio. One Friday the director came to me and mumbled, “You don’t have to come in on Monday. In fact you don’t have to come it at all. What I mean is, I’m laying you off.”

23 Likes

Well, this is some deeply dystopian capitalist hellscape shit.

17 Likes

The card doesn’t specify how much time off.

14 Likes

that right there is the sweet sweet smell of capitalism

( so ummm… yeah. mind control, basically. )

14 Likes

The card indicates “an” unpaid time off, so I guess that means one unit of unpaid time off. Whatever that means.

7 Likes

The plumbing and electrical would suddenly stop working if I worked there, why and how I do not know.

giphy (3)

17 Likes

Adjusting the managers/bosses toilets so the cisterns take hours to trickle-refill is always a good way to say goodbye to a bad job.

19 Likes

I was thinking quick dry cement, but that works too.

14 Likes

My first job out of college (in 1999) was working at a Michael’s because I couldn’t find a “real” job. I was making like 5.15 and hour. The staff and even my boss were all very friendly but I only worked weekdays and so I don’t think I ever asked for time off. It was the time in my life that I was the poorest I’ve ever been and I took a part time job working at a movie theater on weekends to make ends meet. I cant imagine working there and having a family. I would have literally had to get food stamps or welfare. (I guess that’s how a lot of these places function. Government subsidizing their employees.)

17 Likes

Yeah. Came to express these same sentiments.

Lesser of two weasels, I guess.

2 Likes

Until you’re ordered to return, peasant!

2 Likes

I’m not in retail but I would absolutely find this to be a desirable prize. Not as desirable as paid time off, but desirable nonetheless.

1 Like