Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel in a 1:1 scale book

Originally published at: Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel in a 1:1 scale book | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Cool I suppose but we all know the paintings were designed to be seen from the floor of the chapel looking up. Not 15 or 20 inches from a coffee table.

“Insert pull my finger dude joke here.” Hand written by Mike will be seen by many detail junkies.

3 Likes

That’s not a tripod.
This is a tripod!

2 Likes

$22,000?

Maybe I’ll just get a pic & a mini projector & pop it up on the apartment ceiling.

7 Likes

I used to have a 1:1 scale map of the USA; it was a pain to fold up.

7 Likes

If you rip off Texas and Florida it’s much easier.

1 Like

This is pretty cool. I don’t have that kind of scratch, but if I did that would totally be cool to buy to donate to a university. I hope a few end up available for the public.

5 Likes

id be curious if there are already computer based tours of it, it’d be an awesome source for that if not. and probably a bit more accessible

( finally a good use case for vr :wink: )

2 Likes

Very true, and as a consequence many of the paintings are pre-distorted to account for the curved ceiling, so the figures would look more natural when seen from the ground.

6 Likes

An interesting 44 ft problem to solve.

1 Like

Such a scale map would require 22.5 trillion reams of paper, and would weigh about 1/22 as much as the smaller moon of Mars. Not very big as far as moons go, but it’s only a paper moon.

7 Likes

I mean, at that price it’s probably cheaper to go see the real thing…

7 Likes

You can take a one week trip there ten times for that kind of money. Or probably just live there for several months. Either of which sound much more fun than dropping twenty grand on a book I can’t even open.

3 Likes

In future news, Elon Musk buys Sistine chapel, moves it to Boca Chica TX to be his man cave.

4 Likes

I can’t imagine a project this elaborate didn’t make an affirmative decision one way or the other about whether to correct for that.

Since I dont have $22k to spend I guess I’ll never find out.

2 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes

Printed in Italian and English and limited to 1999 copies by the Vatican—which also stipulated there will be no reprints

$200-300 would have been the publisher’s pricepoint if the Vatican hadn’t gotten involved. But as it is, not even a university is going to touch this book. No one but wealthy “collectors” are ever going to turn the pages of this book. Isn’t this altogether disgusting? It’s a pure money grab. Whats next: Vatican cryptocurrency or Vatican NFTs? Vatican-branded adrenochrome or hashish oil?

1 Like

Vatican cryptocurrency could work - it would backed by all the gold the Catholic church is sitting on. NFTs might work too - no need to supply a splinter anymore for the True Cross NFT.