The Making of Stanley Kubrick's 2001 – An enduring cinematic masterpiece gets a book worthy of its brilliance

[Read the post]

2 Likes

The novelty vertical aspect ratio ruins it for me. This is the book that wouldn’t turn its phone sideways.

3 Likes

Exact opposite for me. With all those pull out pages, what is not to love?

3 Likes

This is amazing. Must have this!

1 Like

It sounds like the ultimate 1970’s triple-gatefold prog album cover.

3 Likes

What is not to love? The creases down the foldout images; and the fact that many images appear to cross the spine of the book, making it impossible for them to be flat. A larger, landscape oriented book would have been preferable. They could even have stuck with the “monolith” idea and put the spine at the top of the book, so it opened like a pad (or could have had a really short spine on the other edge, but which might not work so well for stability and durability). Given that they are displaying images related to a widescreen movie, why would they choose the opposite aspect ratio?

(I attended the BBC wildlife photographer of the year exhibition at the NHM in London a few years back. The images in the souvenir book they were selling all crossed the spine of the book. I passed. In hindsight it might have been an anti-copying “feature” of the book. Cellulose DRM, if you will.)

4 Likes

I wish I could remember where I read it–and it’s probably collected in the book–but one of the matte painters was thrilled that they did such a great job creating a view of Earth from space…at a time when no one had seen Earth from space.

A few years later when the first real pictures came back he breathed a sigh of relief.

2 Likes

But is it 1.66" thick???

4 Likes

And then it should at least have a magnetic field of anomalous strength so you can easily find it when hidden.

edit: missed a word

Neodymium magnets along the spine, perhaps? The magnetometers in cellphones could find it nicely…

Thought… what about a display of the vector of magnetic field, in 3d via anaglyph glasses?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.