Michigan "Big Lie" lawmaker proposes eerie bill that would punish fact checkers: "You better be right"

Who fact-checks the fact-checkers?

6 Likes

I’d just become a lie checker.

“Yup. That’s a lie.”

8 Likes

“He also claimed, without providing evidence” is the motto of the Trump Party.

8 Likes

“Mr Maddock, why aren’t you registered as a fact checker? Surely everything you’re saying is factual? Seems like only a lying liar wouldn’t sign up for this.”

2 Likes

I can think of a much easier way that Mr. Maddock could work to put fact checkers out of business…

3 Likes

13 Likes

“Don’t we deserve to know who they are? Next week, I’ll be introducing a bill to register them to find out who they are. Want to hunt the ones down watching you right now?"

1. Force people to register
  2. Hunt them down

That sounds like a very specific threat. Where and how many times have I heard this one before?

16 Likes

2 Likes

I wonder how they define “fact-checker.” It would be nice if their definition somehow encompassed all those lying politicians out there.

1 Like

Well, Mussolini checked and censored personally all the headlines due to be published every bloody morning, so why not be honest and do so directly? Let them confess their heart’s desire.

VelineM

5 Likes

2 Likes

It’s like The Aristocrats except their pedophiles just exist in reality, rather than being made up for shock value.

4 Likes

Depends… are they a conservative?

3 Likes

Yeah, that part worried me more than the part about the fines. Not that the fines are great either. But, without knowing the full details of his proposal, I have a very funny feeling that individual journalists would have to register, not organizations, and their personal info would then be public record. Call it a hunch.

10 Likes

There’s zero chance this pile of BS pretending at “legislation” will be signed in to law this legislative session. Our governor won’t sign it.

Right about now I’m wondering if this stable genius is in a district that’s about to be un-Gerrymandered?

10 Likes

Good luck, up there in Canuckistan. Methinks you need better locks on the doors =x .

7 Likes

As Lauren Weinstein writes: “Only if there’s an equivalent fine for anyone who purposely promotes misinformation”

2 Likes

Even if this bill passes and survives court challenges, what’s to stop fact-checkers covering Michigan from going to Chicago? In other words, Republicans are really bad at thinking up laws, and that’s probably for the best.

3 Likes

Seriously, for people who like to whine about the first amendment they’re not very good at recognising circumstances where it actually does apply

7 Likes

That’s simple. The 1st amendment applies when they want to say something. It is not at all applicable when someone else says something they do agree with or do not want to be public knowledge or talked about.

1 Like