Michigan "Big Lie" lawmaker proposes eerie bill that would punish fact checkers: "You better be right"

Originally published at: Michigan "Big Lie" lawmaker proposes eerie bill that would punish fact checkers: "You better be right" | Boing Boing

7 Likes

If we can make this apply to both fact checkers and politicians, I am on board.

Which of course we know won’t fly. Any more than suggesting politicians take regular drug tests just like welfare recipients.

44 Likes

Yet another conservative Constitutional “expert” who has no idea about how the First Amendment works.

59 Likes

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present the “Party of Small Government”.

54 Likes

This person seems to have a remarkable lack of self-awareness.

It’s somehow OK, for a politician, to lie, misrepresent, and get things wrong, when that wrongness truly matters and affects people’s lives, but someone who tries to point out the lies, misrepresentations, and inaccuracies is somehow the scourge of civilization who must be stopped?

Where is the bill penalizing the the liers (such as himself) when the fact-checker proves him wrong?

37 Likes

Well this screams “1st Amendment Violation”.

29 Likes

don’t be wrong, don’t be sloppy,

That’s his motto, doesn’t need to be anyone else’s.

20 Likes

US you are doomed and by extension, we here in Canada are doomed too.

8 Likes

Next he’ll be introducing a bill that will fine judges “for getting it wrong”.

16 Likes

We need a new law for politicians: “Don’t violate the Constitution, don’t lie, and you better be nice.”

11 Likes

“Falsehoods for me, but not for thee.”

13 Likes

Seems broad-- if I casually point out when someone is wrong, does that make me a “fact checker”?

12 Likes

It is a period of civil war. Rebel fact-checkers, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil GOP.

31 Likes

He also claimed, without providing evidence, that fact-checkers have unfairly targeted conservative politicians.

In his defense, fact-checkers are particularly hard on liars.

21 Likes

So, if we make journalists pass a test, register with the government and pay $1 in liability insurance, then it shouldn’t be a problem to make gun owners too??

15 Likes

Just giving up won’t help fix anything.

15 Likes

Oh, cool, a new governmental oversight process that I’m sure is invulnerable to politicization or other forms of corruption!

10 Likes

Figures.

3 Likes

“don’t be wrong, don’t be sloppy, and you better be right”

Seems to me that this bill should apply to lawmakers not those who fact check them. But sloppy Matt Maddock wouldn’t like that now would he?

5 Likes

If conservatives don’t like fact-checkers butting in when they say things, maybe they should make those things they say, like, not lies? Just a thought.

12 Likes