Michigan health chief to stand trial for involuntary manslaughter in connection with Flint water crisis

But it’s just so much easier to assume that Detroit is the hellscape so portrayed on the TV! /s

3 Likes

It’s an interesting hypothesis in which the lack of anti-corrosion treatment in the water system increased the levels of iron as well as lead and led to higher levels of bacteria normally iron-limited such as Legionella. It’s still not clear how even that would lead to the infection, as the water would have to be inhaled rather than ingested, but maybe stagnant pools of infected water could generate infected droplets through evaporation or something.

Glad to be corrected, then, and hear things are better than I’d thought.

1 Like

Thank you.

Sure, Detroit has problems. Every major metropolitan city has problems. Yet somehow it’s always Detroit that gets insulted by the media and people who’ve never set a foot inside the city to find out what it’s really like. And as a born-and-bred Detroiter, it never fails to piss me off.

I’d say it’s getting better, slowly but surely. The last few mayors have worked hard to turn things around, and more businesses are coming into the city-- or being started within it. It’s a balancing act, to make sure longtime residents aren’t shunted aside for new money projects. We’ve got a long way to go yet… but we are NOT some post-apocalyptic hellhole, damnit.

4 Likes

Shit, I would love to not only see Detroit rise again to it’s former glory, but do so in a way that doesn’t create the same problems every other major city (including the ATL) is having with gentrification: out of control housing cost, white washing the city, services only for those who can afford it, corporate businesses over locally owned ones, etc.

2 Likes

Sorry, I was trying to be ironic. Evidently it failed. It wasn’t my intention to cause offence, but, rather, to express outrage.

Something like Flint is shit. It is even more shit when it happens in a super wealthy first world country that really should know better.

1 Like

Oh! Okay. My bad. Sometimes it’s hard to tell on the internets.

1 Like

Yeah, Internet, how the heck does that work?!

And no worries. You are one of the commentators I keep an eye out for on Boing Boing. I’ve learned some stuff from you. Thank you.

2 Likes

arya-bowing-thanks-lady

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.