Michigan outlaws 'gay and trans panic defense'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/26/michigan-outlaws-gay-and-trans-panic-defense.html

24 Likes

Signing this legislation is more evidence that we need Whitmer to complete her term as our governor.

28 Likes

Whitmer is awesome, but I think Gilchrist would do fine if Whitmer ends up as the VP nominee. It would be nice to have another incumbent race in 2026, too.

10 Likes

I would never have called it a “defence”
More of an admission of a hate crime that the prosecution should use

25 Likes

This appears to be the status of it in the UK, where you can still use it as a defense but that invites prosecutors to argue it was a hate crime.

22 Likes

Yeah, it was always pretty horrifying that this was ever considered a defense, but it’s interesting that we’re at this point in the culture when we’ve got this overlap where it’s still a legal possibility while also serving as an admission of a hate crime enhancement of the charges… progress is a weird, inconsistent thing.

6 Likes

That would be nice. Sadly, that’s not how it works in the US. Hell, we still allow people to argue that catching your spouse in the act of cheating on you is sufficient provocation to reduce a murder charge to manslaughter.

12 Likes

Way to go, Governor!

4 Likes

I would love for Whitmer to stay in place. That’s most likely the case. As progressive as running Harris is (which shouldn’t be considered progressive because she’s the goddamn VP), running two women on the ticket would be considered a step too far.

This sets Whitmer up for the future, though. Whitmer-Buttigieg 2032!

3 Likes

Mmm…Whitmer-AOC, please.

5 Likes

Melania is thinking about this intensively.

I don’t think it would be. It’s past time, and from an election math standpoint, I’d bet that it would generate more enthusiasm and turnout than it would turn away people who think, “Well, I’ll vote for a woman for President but also having a woman VP is too much!” Those people are probably already voting GQP anyway.

5 Likes

The prosecutor who originally got the “gay panic defense” rejected in a court case and then went on to get it banned in CA and lobby other states to do the same? Kamala Harris.

14 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.