Microsoft thinks Minecraft's creator is a creeper

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/29/microsoft-thinks-minecrafts.html

4 Likes

Christ, what an asshole

52 Likes

Imagine getting a check with three commas in it as a young man, having the rest of your life to do and create and experience literally anything you want to do, and then choosing to spend your days being an angry doofus on Twitter.

82 Likes

24 Likes

They don’t call it “Fuck You” money for nothing.

22 Likes

If I had his kind of money I’d start an animation studio with the intent on creating an animated Shadow series for Netflix or where ever. Think something in the vein of Batman TAS, with a bit more gloss and detail in places.

But hey, sitting at home trolling twitter is a hobby too, I guess.

18 Likes

Yes, Notch made a nice game but is a complete tool that is wallowing in his assholiry now that he is an isolated billionaire.

Most people reading his feed:

29 Likes

Creeper? Isn’t Notch more of a

23 Likes

He’s a Notch below the rest.

18 Likes

The fate of Notch from what I read sort of reads like a downward spiral.

He gets billions of dollars. He forms another game company where he can work on other projects. Does interviews on how he doesn’t really work much. How he shows up at noon and dicks around because he’s hungover from partying all night.

His ambitious followup to Minecraft got tabled just before the Microsoft buyout as well.

ETA: A bit old, but you can imagine how we ended up here from there: https://www.geekwire.com/2015/minecrafts-notch-vents-on-twitter-about-feeling-isolated-gets-stung-by-jellyfish-does-not-find-god/

21 Likes

Ironically, he’s Steve (Minecraft player character) and a Creeper at the same time. He built something nice…and then blew it up by being an asshole.

11 Likes

This makes me sad that the creator of one of the best video games ever is a complete asshole. It’s not surprising, but it still makes me sad.

13 Likes

Thank god the rights to the game were bought by Microsoft or we would now have to have moral qualms about supporting art owned by a morally unsound entity.

26 Likes

So late stage capitalism.

4 Likes

One of the only positives of power inequality is that sometimes people get powerful enough to demand that the guard-rails be removed from their own metaphorical Grand Canyons.

11 Likes

Notch Johnson is the only Notch who matters

12 Likes

Yes, why just use twitter when you can afford to fly?

8 Likes

I had suspicions about him when he moved to LA. He went from Sweden to a country where he didn’t seem to have any connections, just so he could live in a grotesque mansion surrounded by movie stars. That indicated he was a superficial guy with screwed-up values. What it didn’t indicate was that he was also a crazy asshole.

20 Likes

Well, they aren’t wrong.

3 Likes

As Dan Savage observed, there is a heterosexual pride day. It’s called Halloween.

24 Likes