Microsoft wants to rename Internet Explorer to shed negative associations

Why not? I feel like I’m being physically abused whenever I’m forced to use it.

Internet for Windows LIVE!

4 Likes

They’d do better to drop the “Microsoft” bit.

2 Likes

Internet Extractor would work well

Infernal Exploder’s my go-to option.

I also sometimes call it “Only-way-to-get-web-forms-on-bmw.co.uk-to-work”. There’s typically swearing involved at this point.

1 Like

Honest to FSM they should not only change the name, but also the icon.

May I present to you Microsoft’s new browser, The Internet.

2 Likes

I’m all for a name change. I grew tired years ago of telling people, over the phone, to “open Windows Explorer” then spending the next five minutes trying to explain the difference between Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer.

4 Likes

Just to mess with geeks and haters, they should call it Firefox Ultra.

Or maybe Nobuntu.

1 Like

Eh, you might be interested to know that some time ago Internet Explorer was the default browser for a Mac.

One thing I’ve noticed is that even Microsoft employees get that wrong. I think with 8 they’ve finally decided to call Windows Explorer the File Manager or some such. Took 'em long enough.,

Totally that; anyone who tries to bully me into using their crap can go blow a goat.

Also, M$ are fucking dreaming if they think I’ll ever use a browser that doesn’t let me use the down arrow to go to the end of a text entry field… how many decades can they go without adopting crucial usability improvements that everyone else snaps up as soon as they’re popular?

Do IE users not compose text? I guess they’re too busy hitting FB Like buttons or something.

Nah, Google Ultron’s the way to go.

1 Like
4 Likes

Oh yeah… I remember those days. That was not so good for any computer (IE was no good anywhere then).

Today I use almost every browser for various reasons… but I find IE11 can be just fine when I need it.
The entrenched hate is unexplainable.

Objectively speaking - it’s about JavaScript engine speed, privacy, rendering, and memory management. Google embeds tracking software in Chrome (which I remove) - yet we hate on IE. Firefox is getting bloated again… I haven’t been to the Opera in a while.

Really this doesn’t matter… it’s not Emacs.
I mean, vi…
Dang it!
(i.e. - that’s humor… heh…)

3 Likes

[quote=“greggerca, post:54, topic:39170”]
I haven’t been to the Opera in a while.
[/quote]For better or for worse, it’s gone Webkit, just like Safari and Chrome.

Is that because IE got better, or because Firefox went down the Bemis?

Please share… I see numerous websites about changing some settings, but nothing about actually removing software.

As an IT professional who has worked in several different environments where Internet Explorer was mandatory (and usually the exclusively permitted browser), I can assure you that has nothing to do with it whatsoever. We have plenty to do without dealing with IE.

While IE doesn’t place on my list of browsers I use regularly or recommend to side clients, IE 11 actually is pretty decent. As @mooglegiant alluded, the real (IE specific) problem on the security front at this point is that ActiveX is still around. (I would argue that the biggest security problem (aside from the NSA) is Java. Hardly matters which browser you have installed if you leave Java on.)

The reason IT often mandates IE can be pretty easily deduced by the fact that they usually specifically mandate some really outdated version. Why?

Because some development group with no real ties to IT created a bunch of internal websites and tools that won’t work in a standards compliant browser. They don’t want to fix it and they don’t want to rewrite it. So, in order to keep clients from complaining when people can’t get that tool to work in another browser (or an updated IE even), IT forbids other browsers.

Believe it or not, this problem goes way beyond browsers. You’ll have to forgive me for not elucidating. Being more specific could be seen as a bit of a gaffe if any of my companies (past, present, and even future) ever saw this. But because everyone notices their browser and how terribly things work on, say, IE 6 nowadays, we all think and complain about it.

Now, none of this is meant as an exoneration of Microsoft. We wouldn’t be in this mess if IE6 hadn’t been so tolerant of terrible code and so happy to implement its own kludge versions of W3C standards. They raised an entire generation (generation measured in internet time) of terrible web developers.

Of course, in their own way, they are paying for it. And not just with a terrible reputation. The Compatibility Mode they’ve kept up with in the hopes that companies will upgrade to a newer version of IE means that there’s no end in sight to how long they’ll be supporting IE6 and the terrible decisions they’ve made in the past.

In the mean time, I suggest they rename IE to Microsoft Chrome. They’ve taken more than their fair share of design cues from Chrome to the point that it took like 30 minutes of tinkering to make IE11 look and act the way my SO was expecting IE to behave. :laughing:

If you take out ActiveX and Compatibility Mode out of it, IE11’s really not bad. Nothing to recommend it over any other mainstream browser but just generally not bad.

Final note: before anyone asks, I did try to switch my SO to Chrome. She occasionally uses it but still prefers her settings-tinkered-by-Ignatius IE11.

6 Likes

At my last job IE6 was mandated because all the online training software wouldn’t run on anything more advanced.

One day while bored I upgraded it to 8, everything stopped working. 'Twas a royal pain in the arse to get back to 6, I could go back to 7 but it kept auto-upgrading back to 8. We had Firefox installed as well (same as I do at my current job).

Users, eh? Guess that’s why we shouldn’t have admin access :smile:

Haha. Well, I certainly empathize. It wasn’t recent by any stretch of the imagination, but I have switched default browsers on a work computer myself before. I feel the mission of IT is to help the rest of the company get their jobs done effectively with a minimum of frustration.

There are just a lot of factors that can make it seem like we’ve lost sight of that. Sometimes the factor can be that we have lost sight of that. :palm_tree: I guess BBS doesn’t have any facepalms. That’ll have to do.

1 Like

In all honesty, this is what I suspected.

1 Like