Microsoft won't give Windows new version numbers after 10

Well, they could start with some other naming convention. Let’s see… States are their secret os names, candies are taken… Maybe tarot cards? Ooh! How about Egyptian gods? Or is that too yare yare daze?

2 Likes

We will agree to disagree. (Fist bump, and there is no right way, just a balance)

The kernel version finds its way all the way up the chain as the NT version, so, for example the first time I ran into this hiccup was when writing an installer that needed to conditionally install binaries for specific platforms.

According to the official docs, the same condition should be valid for x86 and x64 platforms, but if you follow them verbatim, you will have a buggy installer:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa370556(v=vs.85).aspx

Windows 8 was the deal breaker for me. I bought a Windows 8 machine in October, and replaced it with a Mac at the end of the year.

I hope Microsoft will find their way with Windows 10. It already feels like a failure, though.

Well, on the subject of greed, Bill Gates is extremely philanthropic and for a billionaire seems one of the better ones who actually puts his money and his time where his mouth is. Unlike someone like, I dunno, Steve Jobs, who was never very charitable in his professional or private life, and actively seemed against philanthropic projects at Apple. (Innovation wise, yeah, Jobs stole his ideas more innovatively than Bill did, managing to create a near-personality cult in the process.)

3 Likes

The Tesla Model S gets automatic over-the-air software updates. Currently, the Model S software is at v.6.2. Here are the release notes.

I’d have to go look at the console display to get the Build Number. (-:

2 Likes

Noice!! (P85D perhaps? Can I drive it? You can drive my 530i :D)

Not always. My wife has this horrible VW Jetta and for the first couple of years the DSG transmission had serious problems. The dealer kept changing the firmware (apparently at random) to look for a version which worked and I asked them for the version numbers to get an idea about what was going on. They wouldn’t give me that information of course so I had no way of knowing how systematic their approach was.

But that is exactly what I am saying. The version string is a blob that us representative of (hopefully) a build and a date. Not the features and bugs.

Ever work for a company that releases a different build under the same version, but has bug fixes? (I have)

Ever work for a company that releases a blob with a different version, but no changes, cause marketing told them to? (A/V sigs are the worst with that)

1 Like

Oh, Windows 8 was a great idea. I’ve had more people come to me to ask for a Linux install ISO after they used Windows 8 than any other MS OS before it. I’m glad to know that it’s also been getting people to try out Macs.

3 Likes

I am a windows person, but 8 should be renamed to, “Windows: All things for all people edish”

1 Like

I’m working desktop support at a college while I’m back there getting my degree (after 20 years or so in IT) and end up working with Windows, Mac, and Linux on a regular basis. I tend to go with “use whatever you want, as long as it makes you happy and does what you need it to do.” Yeah, I’m a Linux geek, but that’s mostly because it best fits my needs. I actually don’t mind Win 7 too much, but hate trying to configure anything on a Win 8 computer.

2 Likes

Yeah. An ex more techy manager really liked 8 at least for the under the hood stuff but the ‘start screen’ just made me go ewwww no I can stick with 7 and from now having to deall with enough w2k12 servers I am glad I stuck with 7.
10 looks like I will use the free update and be quite happy with it after I get over the oh this is now moved to that bits of it.

1 Like

I used a Mac at work for six years (not my choice). At first I felt like I was in a prison with OS X. As time went by and Windows released newer versions, OS X felt less and less prison like. The thing I love about my Mac is that I can just jump on this machine for a minute, accomplish whatever I wanted, and be done. With my Windows 8 PC, I jump on there and it takes a while to warm up while background processes do whatever fiddly stuff they do, then it turns out there was a Windows update while I was away and Windows closed all my windows in the process, then I start my browser, and it wants to update, then Java needs to update because it hasn’t updated since lunch, then Adobe also wants to update. And god forbid you should ever need to accomplish something on your PC when it has been all the way shut down, because then you’re looking at a solid 10 minutes of Windows booting up and trying to figure out what the hell year it is.

And then, despite me doing everything I can to keep random stuff from installing, my daughter has installed Crush Arcade in Chrome and it’s unkillable, so popup ads are coming at me like it’s 2001.

1 Like

As someone who has had to work with interoperability, remote customer support, and supporting programs that my company had no part in creating… AAAAAIIIIIIEEEEEEEE! Bad developers, BAD. No treats!

1 Like

Waterfall made this kind of error harder.

Agile/extreme/etc made it easier to screw up (I’ll just slipstream this patch into main, no one will notice).

Devops has made it insane, everyone changes everything. No apologies.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.