Microsoft's "Hall of Tortured Souls"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/03/microsofts-hall-of-torture.html

6 Likes

I remember opening up that one. Good times.

13 Likes

I think I met Ross Comer at CMU in the early nineties.

2 Likes

I wonder how many of the people behind this one ended up moving on to Sharepoint.

Talk about adding a hall of tortured souls to your office suite…

10 Likes

The makers of sharepoint deserve to be tortured.

11 Likes

Last reported on BoingBoing in Feb 2019: https://boingboing.net/?s="Hall+of+Tortured+Souls"

7 Likes

i was going to say vaporgoth is not a thing then i found this so uh, enjoy

4 Likes

Back in 2000 or 2001, I got kicked out of my high school Computer class for opening the “flight simulator” in Excel 97…
Teacher would not believe me when I told him it was actually IN Excel and I didn’t install anything.

11 Likes

I was expecting to see Hiro Protagonist show up and ask me if I wanted to race motorcycles.

5 Likes

This is why MS software was so bloated, and wouldn’t fit on a 360k floppy like the almost-as-functional Northstar spreadsheet that I used on my CP/M computer.

(That said, some of the productions from the “demo scene” in the 1990s were pretty impressive for their file size, eg this one at 2 megs. Wouldn’t fit on a floppy, but you could download it in finite time on a 28.8k modem.)

3 Likes

The juiciness ranks just below my accidentally discovering that my now long-gone Casio mini calculator would become an ‘infinite’ timer with just a few weird keystrokes. The Casio Mini: When YOU don’t get to choose a calculator.

http://vintagecalculators.com/html/casio_mini.html

4 Likes

Sharepoint? Yesterday I wanted to find a single entry in a very long list. Rather than paging through many, many, many pages of entries because of course you can’t go directly to a specific entry, I thought I’d try downloading the damn thing to Excel. But either my browser or my corporate-approved version of Excel is not Sharepoint Foundation compatible and it couldn’t do that, or do something sensible like letting me download a CSV file.

Although I do not believe in Hell or torture, I can only hope that in Hell any and all Sharepoint developers are forced to use their own product for all eternity.

NO I AM NOT BITTER.

On the other hand, I find the social media capabilities built into the version of the product my employer uses kind of comical. Yes, Microsoft. That’s what your developers should be doing.

8 Likes

It seems to be a law in software development: the features which sell more product always take precedence, often crowding out the quality of life enhancements.

1 Like

it seems to match Doom map layouts in my head. could it be loosely based on Doom code and could ID software have had a potential case against MickySoft? hmm

Wasn’t there a screensaver in Windows NT (???) around that time that generated a labyrinth?

3 Likes

Not sure about that but in NT you could make teapots show up in the pipes screen saver.
As well as developer credits or volcano names for the floating text screen saver.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Yep, that’s the one.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.