Microsoft Solitaire enters video game hall of fame

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/07/microsoft-solitaire-enters-vid.html

3 Likes

No love for Minesweeper.

11 Likes

I remember when my uncle bought my aunt a computer to get her ready to go “back in the job market” because he just got laid off from his sweet job at AT&T.

When we would visit and sit at his bar in the basement, he would complain that all she did was play Solitaire on “that damn thing”.

6 Likes

There was no finer benchmarking software for the laptops at Circuit City c. 1994 than Solitaire. If the cards spewed out when you won faster than you could see, you had a real good computer. Unfortunately, the one you could afford probably had the cards bouncing like they were in lunar gravity.

12 Likes

I always had a hard time choosing between the scary castle or the palm tree decks. I liked both of them equally.

4 Likes

So much love and entertainment out of something created to teach people how to use the mouse.

7 Likes

that list of finalists, tho…

• Candy Crush Saga
  • Centipede
  • Colossal Cave Adventure
  • Dance Dance Revolution
  • Half-Life
  • Microsoft Windows Solitaire
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Myst
  • NBA 2K
  • Sid Meier’s Civilization
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee
2 Likes

With Windows 7 MS revamped solataire and gave it a snazzier interface. Being MS,of course they made it a little buggy. Thing doesn’t necessarily know when a game has become unwinnable.
Also, why the hell is Myst not already in the hall of fame?? Did they just start this thing?

I remember when I got my first PC in 2000 and I got concerned that I was so I obsessed with playing solitaire that i would never get anything done. Luckily there were far more amusing distractions just around the corner (home star runner!) to prevent me from getting anything done.

They ruined it when they made it some connected thing that you need to sign in to. I shouldn’t need an internet connection to play fake cards.

3 Likes

Meh. Was always a Minesweeper guy, myself.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.