Middle school apologizes for serving chicken & waffles and watermelon on first day of Black History Month

… are we supposed to have a debate now about whether liberals are the real racists or not :roll_eyes:

17 Likes

parks and recreation whats your point GIF

9 Likes

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

Nah, that’s not how it works. You can’t just come in and ask questions for no reason. A question needs to have a point, and you need to explain your point if you want anyone to engage with you.

12 Likes

Planned ahead, prepared by black chefs, in an educational setting on black culture.

Not unilaterally changed by a food provider with a history of racism.

13 Likes

30 Likes

Yes.

Context, as was already stated a dozen times in this thread and the original post.

Look. If you are invited to dinner and your host is a Black person and they serve chicken and waffles and watermelon, you say ‘thank you.’

If you go to a dinner hosted by White people and a White caterer at the beginning of Black History Month, and they serve chicken and waffles and watermelon, then they are racists.

get out GIF

21 Likes

For the love of all that is good and holy please don’t let this topic devolve into one of those “how come rap stars can use that word but I can’t?” discussions.

20 Likes

Or

“Why isn’t there a White history month?”

25 Likes

If you want to eat a watermelon, eat a watermelon. If you don’t serve watermelon until the one time you have a Black guest over to visit then yeah, you might just be a bit racist.

22 Likes

And if you arbitrarily and automatically dismiss racism as Other people being “too sensitive,” then maybe it’s actually more than just “a bit.”

26 Likes

it’s certainly possible

especially if he ordered something else

24 Likes

You’re in luck: several posters have already written answers to your questions, before you even asked them.

21 Likes

I don’t understand how serving a Russian food makes you hate a language.

27 Likes

School’s proverb: It’s easier to simply pretend that we actually want your forgiveness after we plow on ahead without your permission while knowing full well that there will be blowback.

5 Likes

It’s on the menu at least every other week at my kids elementary school. This is in North Carolina, so fried food is pretty common. There are just about as many places that serve breakfast or are breakfast oriented restaurants as there are lunch/dinner only ones. Fried chicken and waffles can be found in many local restaurants.

To some of the other points, if a white owned restaurant serves chicken and waffles prepared by a Hispanic cook is that some kind of cultural appropriation or racism? As a Southerner I don’t really get the “racist” attachment to fried chicken & watermelon (waffles or not) (and yes I did look this up). Unless you don’t eat fried food, I don’t know anyone who doesn’t like good fried chicken. Watermelon can be a bit hit or miss. In my life time I haven’t come across a white person who was too [good] to eat fried chicken, I mean just look at Chick-fil-A.

1 Like

Most people squint on occasion, but if you do it specifically when you’re talking about Asian people, it’s racist. This is not as complicated as some people would apparently like to pretend.

21 Likes

Once again: it’s not that any given food is inherently racist, it’s about CONTEXT.

If this school district serves chicken & waffles with watermelon on the first Wednesday of every month then that’s not necessarily racist. If they serve it on the first day of Black History Month (and only on the first day of Black History Month) then that’s problematic to say the least.

17 Likes

Look at it this way. Of course it’s not racism in general if say, the cook is actually a chef who graduated from an elite southern cooking school. But all the likely scenarios are that this is his “place in society” being reinforced through various means of institutional white supremacy that prevents him from gaining the type of job he is inclined toward and would favor. :man_shrugging:

Then there is the point that chicken and waffles began in Pennsylvania Dutch country, as served with gravy the way chicken-fried steak is, along with waffles.

8 Likes

fried chicken and waffles are good.
watermelon is good.

both served together during black history month to black students?
cringe

also, since when are waffles a suitable school lunch?

4 Likes