Middle school teacher in trouble after administering "Pimps and Hos" math test

Well, that’s Common Core. The students need to articulate why the problem can’t be solved. :wink:

3 Likes

Well, I assume because teachers don’t get social security…unless they worked another job for a number of years before. Even then, both their pension checks and their social security checks will be less. (Like social security, it’s based upon years of contributions.)

eta: IANAL, but I thought that OJ Simpson’s retirement plan was out of bounds for the Brown/Goldman families.

3 Likes

I remember seeing it before, but I had no idea this is a 4chan troll that’s been going around the internet since before Al Gore invented the internet. So the offending teacher didn’t write the offensive test. She downloaded it and thought it was hilarious and gave it to a classroom full of preteens.

I don’t know anything about that school, but Mobile has a pretty high black population. She probably wasn’t having a laff riot with her lily-white Trump-loving scamps. She was just calling her students a bunch of n*****.

9 Likes

Or maybe:
She knew it was an obvious joke when she downloaded it, thought it was amusing, and passed it around to share as a gag. And her sense of humour is different from yours.

“I was shocked because she’s a strict teacher,” said an 8th grade student who took the test and didn’t want to be identified. “She was telling all her classes it was a joke. She was laughing along with them.”
Racially-charged quiz outrages parents

2 Likes

FTA:

“They took it as a joke, and she told them that it wasn’t a joke, and they had to complete it, and turn it in,” Hall said of the 10-question quiz.

From your link:

“I was shocked because she’s a strict teacher,” said an 8th grade student who took the test and didn’t want to be identified. “She was telling all her classes it was a joke. She was laughing along with them.”

Hmm. Which is it? Was it a joke or not?

Doesn’t mean it was acceptable, even as a joke, anyway.

5 Likes

Congratulations on your powers of understatement. I’m surprised you missed the very next graph:

Jason Boyington’s son took the test. He said the questions were very offensive.
“He had to read it twice for it to sink in are they really asking me these kind of things,” said Boyington.

Remember That One Kid in middle school? The one who would say to the girls, “You’re fat! Just kidding!” I’ll bet some kids laughed along with him too.

11 Likes

Waitaminute, an eightball is 1/8th/oz, or 3.5g more or less, yes? Someone’s getting ripped off here.

4 Likes

According to the NBC article linked to in the original post, the teacher taught Language Arts, not math. And only one family complained, even after the info was made public to all the families. ONLY ONE FAMILY thought it was inappropriate.

A white teacher in the south, showing her true colors. Why did she think she could get away with it…does she not understand how social media works?

8 Likes

Just stop.

17 Likes

Yep, the quote from the outraged parent contradicts the quote from the kid who was in the class.
It’s not up to me to say which reportage was more correct (my guess is both quotes are real).

Given that it’s shown to have been sourced as a deliberate parody - the answer to your question is “Yes, it was a joke”.

Some people didn’t find it that funny out of context - that’s all.

Thanks for tracking that down! I knew I’d seen it before; can’t believe it’s still going around. Well . . . sadly, I can, but ugh.

2 Likes

What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun.

2 Likes

It’s not a joke. Perhaps - arguably - in some context it might be. In this context it was not.

Jokes, like language, do not have absolute meaning. If they bend far enough, they break and cease to be jokes.

This “joke” did not have far too break. Simple gravity would seem to be enough to shatter this one. If it hasn’t imploded under its own weak gravity already, becoming a humorless collapsed quasi-stellar object, attracting other humorless objects in its wake.

10 Likes

what is the racial composition of her class?

anyway I guess this is sort of what a Republican doing a fuck you, I’m outta here is like.

I’d like to see the liberal teacher retiring in Arizona version.

2 Likes

No, that’s not all. The “jokes” were extremely racist jokes. Given to middle-school students, many of whom are black.

And you’re okay with that, just because they’re just jokes? Holy shit dude, join the 21st century!

19 Likes

No, that’s okay; 1946 can keep him.

11 Likes

It’d be funnier if she actually got fired for this, thus voiding her pension.

Ooo, oo, that’s a great word problem: If Professor Asshat gets fired three weeks before retirement, calculate the percentage of income Professor Asshat will be living on while collecting food stamps (if the amount of her pension is 100%). Then calculate exactly how fucked Professor Asshat will be, having given up said pension and attempting to start over in a new career in her 50s.

4 Likes

It would, but given all the recent lack of anything resembling justice in the news, I won’t hold my breath.

3 Likes

Is there information anywhere as to why she did this (in that capacity)?

My first thought was that this was a math teacher using the safety of imminent retirement to make a statement about all the pressure K-12 math teachers are under to make what they teach “relevant”, and that the choice of extreme offensive examples was to be extreme, not offensive. However, since it is instead a piece of internettery she downloaded and distributed, I wonder what the context was.

I used to teach in a classroom just after a freshman comp class where the (very popular) teacher often left things on the board that seemed a little edgy for such a class. I don’t mind erasing the blackboard at the beginning of class (some faculty get apoplectic at having to do this), but that semester I made a point of getting to class early, to make sure I wouldn’t get into trouble for subjecting the students to, for example, descriptions of genitalia on the blackboard. I talked to her once about this, she said most of these examples came from the students, but still.

1 Like

Thank you. As soon as I started reading the post I had a distinct feeling of a glitch in the matrix. Glad to see I wasn’t losing my mind.

3 Likes