Mike Rogers threat to Matt Gaetz: "You're finished"

And when the Republicans do actually achieve their goals like stacking the court or electing a fascist the progressives always complain that the Democrats didn’t do enough to stop them.

It’s almost like pundits across the political spectrum think Democrats are the only ones with any kind of human agency.

18 Likes

38 Likes

They’ll be back to pretending they’re each others friends, yes. I guarantee you that if either one of them has the opportunity to stab the other in the back they’re going to take it.

(Stepping on puppies, though? If only that was all they did to those poor things.)

8 Likes

And turning it around in this case even made more sense - if a few Republicans voted for Hakeem Jeffries, the problem would have been resolved immediately, after all…

20 Likes

His hand was across his face.

1 Like

The wig played into his calculations.

4 Likes

I suspect it’s a recognition that the Republicans are no longer a political party, and thus there are no expectations for them to act at all as a political party might be expected to act.
The Nazis, sadly, are a good comparison to the modern GOP. Nobody expected the Nazis to compromise, because nobody saw them as a party that was interested in governance through compromise.

10 Likes

All it would have taken is a few more voting “present”…

9 Likes

Yeah, it’s part of what makes the assertion so ridiculous - saying the Democrats could have “fixed” the problem by choosing a Republican to support and then themselves organizing the Republicans around voting for that candidate, all to aid the Republicans, whereas the Republicans could have just… not voted. They didn’t even need to sully themselves by actively supporting a compromise candidate.

8 Likes

It’s an acknowledgement that the democrats are the adults in the room. The republicans are going to do their angry toddler thing and can’t be expected to behave. If only they could be sent to their rooms without dinner.

7 Likes

Exactly HOW is it possible that Matt “Pedophile/Sex Trafficker” Gaetz is NOT in jail?

9 Likes

A tie between 'em is fine.

ETA: A three way tie between the two of those and gym jordan is OK, too.

4 Likes
4 Likes

The repubs bailed him out. Pretty sure they’re gonna cut him loose as well as the rest of the “freedom caucus”. If you don’t stay in line in the GOP they’ll leave you to twist in the wind.

2 Likes

We’ll see, but I doubt it. So far, they seem unwilling to do so, even after they participated in a coup against the US government, they seem loath to jettison them.

Maybe we should stop believing that the GOP is playing nth level chess, and maybe accept that the GOP are just racist, sexist bullies who only care about power and every choice they make flows from that…

17 Likes

Participating in a coup against the govt is ok. Going against the party— that’s trouble. They’ve always been party before country.

2 Likes

Not in the 70s… it was the Republicans turning on Nixon as the watergate scandal unfolded that led him to leave office. Since Reagan, yeah, it’s been party first.

10 Likes

Weird to feel nostalgic for nixon, but here I am.

9 Likes

Nixon was weird… I mean, he did some hella-awful stuff, but he really was the last “liberal consensus” president, and pushed through some progressive stuff… But I think the bad probably outweighs the good, as he unleashed an army of monsters on us (so many assholes got their start in his administration), and was sort of the straw that broke the camel’s back with public trust in the government (because of all the shit that he did and that came out during his administration, even stuff he was not responsible for).

White House Bowling GIF by US National Archives

12 Likes

the big lebowski GIF

17 Likes