Mikhail Kalashnikov, 1919-2013

[Permalink]

Few people have the impact on the world that Kalishnikov did. The Automat Kalishnikov, Model 1947, and it’s successors have had perhaps the most impact of any rifle in history. It may not be accurate at long distances, but it was inexpensive to manufacture (and, in fact, CAN and IS being built purely with hand tools. . . ), and can pretty much survive abuse that would utterly destroy most other rifles. . . .

4 Likes

Kalashnikov… once complained he would have been financially better off designing a lawnmower.

I think there are a lot of shot people who would be better off too.

edit: I fixed my quoting error. But this software won’t let me post the fix without a substantial change.

6 Likes

Another advantage is that it can be made out of nonstandard materials. People fashion them out of shovel heads and other assorted bits of metal, in a sort of plowshares to swords process.

5 Likes

Wow… I didn’t realize he was still alive. I went and looked up Molotov, too, but he died in the 80s.

And I agree with @Salgak bout his influence. I don’t know much about the history guns, but he’s right on the money about the the impact of the AK-47, I think. I can’t think of another rifle that has been so used and even mythologized to some extent (with it’s relationship to revolutionary movements during the Cold War).

1 Like

It certainly is classic, iconic design. I believe it is the only gun to appear on a national flag (not including canons).

It’s been a good end to the year for the Deathlist.

http://deathlist.net/

I know the guy who did the Shovel-AK. The tolerances were iffy, and it STILL functioned. The sheer economy of design and manufacturability of the AK platform makes it, hands down, the world champion, over its’ nearest competitor, Eugene Stoner’s AR-15 design (which grew into the M-16 and M-4. . . )

And unlike an AR-platform rifle, which requires precision machining to build and detail-cleaning to keep operational. . . you can drag an AK through the mud, bury it in sand, or whatever, and it will still function.

As for the manufacture: look at the Khyber Pass Copies: they literally make every bit of the AK by hand. . .

“Ah, I tell you. I put the ‘revolutionary’ in ‘revolutionary industrial design’ and who gets the credit? Some turtleneck American who makes calculators without buttons…”

6 Likes

Plus, you just try selling a rifle called ‘The Stoner’ to the DoD…

2 Likes

Since the days of flintlocks, I can’t think of a family of rifles that has had as much of an impact as the AK platform, and it caught on for a reason. Kalashnikov will be missed by a lot of people. He was a bright man, whose inventions have had an enormous impact on modern history.

Very cool. I think it’s awesome that he had the idea of doing that. It’s funny how the internet can make someone’s backyard project practically famous.

For those who aren’t familiar:

1 Like

Mikhail Kalashnikov

the AK47 also became a symbol of revolution around the world

Genesis Breyer P-Orridge

I’ve always been attracted to it [AK-47]…And it struck me one day…that it was actually The Eye of Horus…

The Eye of Horus

The Eye of Horus is an ancient Egyptian symbol of protection.

In one myth, Set and Horus were fighting for the throne, Set gouged out Horus’s left eye. The majority of the eye was restored by Thoth (with the last portion possibly being supplied magically). When Horus’s eye was recovered, he offered it to his father, Osiris, in hopes of restoring his life. Hence, the eye of Horus was often used to symbolize sacrifice, healing, restoration, and protection.

Also known as The Eye of Ra

Equated with the disk of the sun, the feminine counterpart to the sun god Ra, and a violent force that subdues his enemies. She is his partner in the creative cycle in which he begets the renewed form of himself that is born at dawn. Defending Ra against the agents of disorder that threaten his rule.

There’s a pretty scientific comparison of the AK-47 to the AR here:

The highlight of which is seeing a ham sandwich jammed into an AK, and the rifle firing on full auto without jamming.

Caution: That video may contain some offensive language, and it definitely contains a lot of shooting.

1 Like

Of course, Molotov didn’t invent the Molotov cocktail. While the device existed before, the term was first used to describe the petrol bombs mass-produced by Finland’s state alcoholic-beverage monopoly Alko during the Winter War.

Molotov had claimed that the Soviet bombers attacking Finland were in fact delivering food supplies. The “Cocktail” was a drink to go with the food!

3 Likes

I wasn’t sure he had, but that’s an interesting history there. Thanks!

Haha. That video is absolutely ridiculous. Thanks.

2 Likes

“Prince Philip Duke of Edinburgh - 92 - Casual rascist” [sic]

What a wonderful website :slight_smile:

Of course, for the REAL comparison, you need to compare the AK to the AR to the Mosin-Nagant (and yes, I have all three. . . )

http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm

2 Likes

Reminds me of this:

1 Like

Mikhail Kalashnikov, now THERE is an awesome dancer!

6 Likes