Milking bullet ants to extract venom that causes the "worst pain known to man"

THE PAAAAAINNN

[Body is invalid; try to be a little more descriptive]

Paul Atreides shrieked, THE PAAAAAINNN

Then he shouted, “Fuck you, BBS filter script!”

7 Likes

I was watching “The Zanti Misfits” just the other day

4 Likes

This is the greatest moment of your life, man, and you are off somewhere missing it.
https://youtu.be/zvtUrjfnSnA

2 Likes

I live in Hawaii, and regularly have to deal with centipedes (which love the front stoop of my house). I find these ants much scarier.

1 Like

When I lived in Arizona these… Ahem… fuckers were all over the place. Second most painful sting, next to drumroll the bullet ant. Luckily not aggressive unless you mess with them.

5 Likes

just type   into any rejected post. the code turns invisible but the filter reads it as an acceptable number of characters.

3 Likes

If that was what they wanted, it would be far easier to run a bullet ant breeding program and ask those Amazonian fellows how they made the gloves.

4 Likes

Unless of course, the torture is done merely to punish…

1 Like

Or to scare others away from the mere thought of becoming a problem. (Or to piss them off enough to maintain having a problem to maintain reasons for existence and the associated budgets.)

2 Likes

Makes a person think twice about asking for anti-venom.

I always kept an eye out for them when I lived there…didn’t think twice about the scorpions as they preferred not to sting you.

I don’t doubt that a lot of assholes in high places would love to weaponize this, but I still think you’re wrong: people researching torture methodologies don’t sit down for a chat with science writers. If there are people doing nasty things with bullet ants, it’s not these guys.

Also, there is loads and loads of precedent for legit medical uses of animal venom. You may think that sounds like a transparent excuse, but it’s not.

5 Likes

Punishments and rewards encompass literally everything that has ever motivated any human being.

3 Likes

I like how the post is all “Here’s how scientists milk bullet ants, just like they do with snakes!” and the article is actually “We tried milking bullet ants, and it didn’t work. We just dissect them and remove the venom glands manually.” BoingBoing, everybody!

Another interesting thing that all you guys who didn’t read the article missed out on: “But Backshall goes on to say that after the pain subsides the body’s overdose of adrenaline makes you feel ‘like a god.’ And for weeks afterwards he felt great.” That goes a good way towards explaining why people do this to themselves on purpose, and is also a strong counterargument against the weapon/torture idea. The last thing the po-pos want is for those pesky protesters they zapped to get up a few hours later with superhuman purpose and determination.

3 Likes

Not just human beings; pretty much any multi celled organism.

Yeah, pretty much. I stated it conservatively because I didn’t want to get into an argument about whether, say, ants are sentient enough to perceive “rewards” and “punishments” as we would understand them, or operate more on the level of a complex robot.

The great thing about operant conditioning (rewards and punishments) is that the receiver doesn’t need to understand what’s going on, they just respond to the consequences. Bacteria will learn to move toward a food source or away from an aversive stimulus even though they lack any kind of language to reason about what is happening (I presume).

1 Like

Yeah yeah torture, horrific pain, comedians doing dumb things blah blah, really the more important question that needs answering is this: Are the lapels really necessary? The belt AND buckle? Is the nametag sewn in, or is it removable via velcro™? Exactly what the fuck kind of outfit does this guy have on?!?

4 Likes

I think it’s “come to work as your favorite TV character day,” and he picked Jane Hathaway from The Beverly Hillbillies.

1 Like

You don’t need prisoners that have been wiped from the inventory. Plus prisoners are more likely to tolerate pain and be more used to torture than the general population.

This is why we must abduct Canadians from various walks of life to ensure a more realistic assessment.

-edit-

Here is an example - but there was another I was thinking of when I wrote comment above - just don’t want to find it at the moment.