Millennial men no less sexist than prior jerks

Start a thread! I suspect there are many non-females on BB that would like to have a better perspective from the female’s point of view.

4 Likes

Wow, that was interesting. I had no idea that was a thing, but apparently I come across as male in an informal genre, but weakly female (or European?!?) in an formal genre. I used an email I wrote to a potential client about a website.

My Score

1 Like

Discuss? No, we want you to write us a thesis on this, actually! Stat!

5 Likes

Uh… we’ve tried that before, and it turned into a shit show, with many of the (self-identified) men talking over us. Who started that thread, the one about men talking over women in a work environment, @Missy_Pants? Was it @manybellsdown? You guys know the one I mean, right?

14 Likes

That’s disappointing. Sounds like it would’ve been a smorgasbord for @Falcor, though.

2 Likes

It was @ChickieD that kicked that one off.

6 Likes

Ah! Sorry, @ChickieD and @manybellsdown… all chicks look alike to me! :wink: But that’s the thread I meant, so thanks for feeding my laziness.

It was… You can go read it, but I’m sure much of the offending stuff is now gone, safe in @falcor’s tummy… or rather long ago his digital poop.

9 Likes

Yeah, I really like the thread and think it’s been a great conversation. For me, to sum up where it landed me, I got down to some very base level stuff where I realized that there is an issue around physical intimidation that men do to women and the defense mechanisms women have developed to keep themselves safe. I am sure many men do not perceive that they threaten women in subtle ways, or understand what women have gone through to keep themselves whole, but I think that men need a lot of education around it. I also think that it is a huge risk for women to try to educate men on their need for physical and emotional safety.

9 Likes

7 Likes

Sadly, doing that with a pair of résumés is an interesting lesson in just how fucked up the U.S. really is.

1 Like

Bwahahahahahah… no.

As @ChickieD’s thread demonstrated… asking directly for advice as women, on how to deal with work situations with men, led to a tantrum and blowout that caused a long standing regular to flame out & delete their account. Because we didn’t take their advice. Reading that thread now is probably a bit confusing because a lot got nuked. Yeah, no… I’m good. :wink:

13 Likes

I shall commence with the all important literature review.

“That’s What She Said.” Gender, Satire, and the American Workplace on the Sitcom The Office

That’s what she said: Comparing Race, Gender, and Class in the British and U.S. Versions of The Office

This is a great graf from the first article

Satirical television has a history of misinterpretation, part of which can be explained
by what Fiske (2011) refers to as “excess as hyperbole.” This textual device allows
excessively exaggerated characters to represent both a “straight meaning” that represents
dominant ideology at face value and a second oppositional meaning that undercuts
the straight meaning (p. 91). The 1970s sitcom All in the Family is a good example
of this device, as well as its potential for misinterpretation. The show’s creators
intended for lead character and bigot Archie Bunker, notorious for his flagrant racism,
to serve as an example of exaggerated “excess as hyperbole” that critiqued such attitudes
(Haggins, 2009). Instead, they were disappointed to find out that, as revealed in
Vidmar and Rokeach’s (1974) reception study, the show was “more likely reinforcing
prejudice and racism than combating it” (p. 46). As recently as the 2000s, shows have
struggled with the effective transmission of satire and “excess as hyperbole.” Comedian
Dave Chappelle’s resistance to featuring a minstrel character on Chappelle’s Show
stemmed from his fear that audiences would take its “straight meaning” and fail to
interpret it as a satirical critique of society; Chappelle’s disagreement with producers
on the issue led him to walk away from the show and his US$50 million paycheck
(Haggins, 2009).

2 Likes

I actually hardly said anything in that thread, because it’s actually not something that happens to me personally. I absolutely know it happens, and I’ve seen it happen to other women. But I am really loud myself and tend to dominate conversations and so I had no helpful advice to give.

9 Likes

Yep. I was part of that shit show. And I’m so sorry.

I won’t be doing that again.

Why not make a thread called… women only. Let’s respect it. As a community.

Let’s make a safe place here too. And everywhere for those conversations. Anytime. Why not.

I’m down to help however I can. I get that that’s shutting the fuck up. So I did. But I can do more if I can help. Until then. Still sorry. Still shutting the fuck up about my opinions about your life experiences.

I’ll trust you to let me know if you want those.

6 Likes

Hoo boy.

2 Likes

Although I can think of many explanations for this data, the one that seems most likely to me is that the approaches currently being taken to attempt to eliminate male sexism aren’t working. And they even may be making the problem worse…

YES.

However, women actually are better than men, so it’s kind of a special situation here.

Note: I don’t categorize, I prototype.

Gotta go, sorry, back Monday.

Other than handing out the likes I knew better than to step into that one. And really outside of calling other guys out on the behavior I got nothing.

4 Likes

And, honestly, my wife has to tell me to step away from the Internet all the time. There’s not enough time in the world.

And even telling them the fuck off IRL does little to a person without shame. I got nothing :confused:

2 Likes

That’s a good start. Let me know when you have a prospectus draft! :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.