Millennial men no less sexist than prior jerks

You challenged a man’s perceptions with knowledge of recorded history, therefore, you were attacking. Because you’re openly female on the internet. :crying_cat_face:

11 Likes

And yet no gratuitous rape as horrifyingly repetitious replacement for plot. It exists to meet a specific need in an episode, but not for its own purposes, and contextualized.

I’m rather surprised that you would compare the two. The issue is not violence in media but the specific representations a writer may choose to execute. There is certainly a difference between the media targeting manchildren and that targeting women and a wider audience.

1 Like

Then it should say “millennial men are no less bias that the previous generations”.

But on a specific subset of topics, which leads us back to the story.

2 Likes

Bingo.

Seriously ladies, we need to create a group sockpuppet for ourselves, with an old white man avatar and persona so when we want to engage without getting mansplained we can. What should “his” name? Something manly and inoffensive. Peter Johnson?

13 Likes

Richard Johnson Wiener?

8 Likes

Peter Richard Johnson!

8 Likes

In that vein, I have a few “female sounding” usernames around the net and usually get pretty strong gendered response to them. Usually my political views lead to the hilarious-if-they-weren’t-so-common “you couldn’t possibly understand how I feel” response from dickweasels.

7 Likes

I changed my name once on a game site to some inanimate object - like “Rotary Phone” or something. I started up a game with another female player, who proceeded to hit on me and then get angry that I was using a male screenname. But then, I also used to get “you type like a guy” a lot. Apparently that’s actually a thing.

(I once plugged an entire short story, written from the POV of a woman visiting her childhood home, into that. It came back as “75% probability of written by a male”.)

7 Likes

Yes, I cringed when I posted it because it was an unmitigated cheap twisting of @Missy_Pants’s point into a lame objectification “joke” that has reached trope status.

Acknowledging that, perhaps people want to discuss the role that our popular culture icons, like The Office, and their meme off shoots, like said GIFS, help to propagate and perpetuate sexist attitudes amongst millennials.

4 Likes

Start a thread! I suspect there are many non-females on BB that would like to have a better perspective from the female’s point of view.

4 Likes

Wow, that was interesting. I had no idea that was a thing, but apparently I come across as male in an informal genre, but weakly female (or European?!?) in an formal genre. I used an email I wrote to a potential client about a website.

My Score

1 Like

Discuss? No, we want you to write us a thesis on this, actually! Stat!

5 Likes

Uh… we’ve tried that before, and it turned into a shit show, with many of the (self-identified) men talking over us. Who started that thread, the one about men talking over women in a work environment, @Missy_Pants? Was it @manybellsdown? You guys know the one I mean, right?

14 Likes

That’s disappointing. Sounds like it would’ve been a smorgasbord for @Falcor, though.

2 Likes

It was @ChickieD that kicked that one off.

6 Likes

Ah! Sorry, @ChickieD and @manybellsdown… all chicks look alike to me! :wink: But that’s the thread I meant, so thanks for feeding my laziness.

It was… You can go read it, but I’m sure much of the offending stuff is now gone, safe in @falcor’s tummy… or rather long ago his digital poop.

9 Likes

Yeah, I really like the thread and think it’s been a great conversation. For me, to sum up where it landed me, I got down to some very base level stuff where I realized that there is an issue around physical intimidation that men do to women and the defense mechanisms women have developed to keep themselves safe. I am sure many men do not perceive that they threaten women in subtle ways, or understand what women have gone through to keep themselves whole, but I think that men need a lot of education around it. I also think that it is a huge risk for women to try to educate men on their need for physical and emotional safety.

9 Likes

7 Likes

Sadly, doing that with a pair of résumés is an interesting lesson in just how fucked up the U.S. really is.

1 Like