Millennial men no less sexist than prior jerks

Not a Game Of Thrones fan, but wasn’t this also basically the “issue” that the MRAs et al had with Mad Max Fury Road? In that it was, as someone put it, “a movie about sexists written by non-sexists” and presented the objectification of women as a negative thing–and, therefore, from the sexist perspective, the movie was an evil that must be destroyed with all vigor.

7 Likes

So, I had to Google and I’m guessing you don’t mean magnetic resonance angiogram or mountain rescue association … so I’m going to assume men’s rights activists. If so, I have to be honest, I don’t really read much of their opinions because I get flash rages when I hear the phrase “men’s rights.”

11 Likes

On the other hand, watch old Disney films written and directed by men. The extreme polarisation isn’t necessarily representative of essential reality.

(In answer to your question, I find them both weird)

3 Likes

#MISANDRY!

12 Likes

I completely sympathize, and yes, I was referring to Men’s Rights “Activists”, by the typical acronym for that particular hate group and its various submovements.

3 Likes

I think Woody Guthrie said it a lot more clearly and honestly.

6 Likes

when you responded to a post by misunderstanding or misrepresenting its point of view, attacking a point of view which the poster does not have, and then when they further explain themself you then decide to attack them for not talking about the talking points you think should be discussed.

So, maybe you are the hostile one? [needle needle]

7 Likes

What are you trying to say, exactly?

That surrealist cartoon-violence anvils to the head would be the same as gratuitous and repeat rape-related content to drive the plot?

I’m confused.

1 Like

As an outside observer, did you find my inital comment to him to be particularly hostile? I didn’t think I was being so, but maybe others agree that I was? I thought I was disagreeing, but maybe some people think that all disagreement comes with hostility.

3 Likes

Why are you so hostile? /s :wink:

4 Likes

Most of my comment was me quoting him back to himself, with that twist where hopefully he notices he was describing his own actions as those of others. Which is at least one way to be self aware, but always struck me as the long way around.

You’re fine. Generous in my opinion. You can disagree without being disagreeable, not everyone can pull that off.

4 Likes

Oh, I got that.

Thanks. I do try to remember that our meaning can be misinterpreted, so I like to know if I sound dickish, even if I don’t mean to be.

4 Likes

Oh humanity!

Did they try this elsewhere or just the USA?

GIF me some more.

4 Likes

I was a homeless dropout. But I am white.

I lived on white priviledge. People assume shit about white people they don’t about others. Like they’re not homeless juvenile delinquents.

I paid for my homeless lifestyle in video games for kids who would let me hang out with them.

I fixed my accent and speech impediment.

I blended in.

White priviledge is about as good as being a homeless 10 yr old and all that comes with that is bad.

It’s certainly a motherfucker of a safety net.

I could walk in homeless and sneaky… walk out with a suit and tie I never paid for.

Walk into a fancy hotel. Be an unhappy looking dick, and look like I as both lost, in a hurry, and looking for someone to blame for my discomfort.

Have a fantastic meal. Charge it to some other white guys room.

And go on an interview I’m happy to bullshit my way through for a job I am completely unqualified for. Because I know I can.

And I will get it. Because I’m white and I’m desperate and I am privileged enough to think I can walk into a place, and pull all that shit off.

Confidence. It’s what you get when you’re on the inside from birth.

12 Likes

Whoa, there. I think the MRA (I’ve learned a new acronym!) would object to your pejorative use of “dick”.

4 Likes

1 Like
2 Likes

Isn’t that the Looney Tunes?

These are two extremes that do exist, but they’re both grotesque distortions of reality and they don’t fit neatly into what actual individual men and women are like. I find GoT gratuitous and Outlander cloying, although I’m sure there are parts of both that I can appreciate. But if you like romantic movies, you’ll find some written and directed by men. If you like gratuitous violence and sex, you’ll find some by women (Orange is the New Black, for example). Those characters don’t spend their evenings whispering sweet nothings into each other’s ear.

1 Like

In a thread about sexism…and despite my love for The Office…I’m gonna wave from afar at that GIF (morose and barely intelligible clicking noise followed by twelve minutes of silence).

:hand_splayed:

1 Like