Millions of Americans have left Facebook, led by young people aged 12-34

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/08/strong-with-over-55s.html

1 Like

Question on measuring: I deactivated before 2019. But didn’t delete my account (mainly because I want to be able to access data if I really need to). I wonder if I still count as a user?

3 Likes

I wonder how many accounts belong to the deceased? My dad’s account is still out there. Pretty sure he hasn’t logged in in almost 8 years.

6 Likes

This is why Zuckerberg is rushing to combine the messaging platforms and shift the focus back to “private” sharing.

Whether it’s Facebook or Instagram or Whatsapp or any of the other brands acquired or to be acquired, they’re all run by the same greedy and reckless management. If Zuckerberg owns the platform and you value your privacy then don’t use it.

7 Likes

Screw Facebook - never used it, never will. Ditto for Instagram and Whatsapp.

5 Likes

Man, I remember when I was aged 12-34. Seems so long ago now.

2 Likes

You can bet vital organs on FB counting you as a user.

3 Likes

me neither, but you may have a stealth account and not even know it. a friend of mine found one set up for me, which was super creepy. i had them put in a delete account request, and it supposedly has been deleted, but i bet FB still has the info somewhere. i don’t know how they got enough info about me to put up a fake account, but it was definitely about me.

4 Likes

Yep. Since you can reactivate any time through the simple act of logging into your account, “deactivation” is bogus

3 Likes

Facebook is probably measuring it on, “Do you ever open the app, or do you ever use it on any level?”

…or have you ever opened the app or the site or clicked a “like” button or even if you haven’t, do we have a dossier on you?

1 Like

After my Mom passed, I deleted her account. At that point, it motivated me to deleted my account so I did. That was a year ago and I haven’t missed it at all. In fact, it’s nice to meet friends for lunch and be able to talk to them about what’s been going on in their lives.

7 Likes

In other words, the demographic where it’s doing the most damage

7 Likes

I’m on the edge of disconnecting from Facebook. It has a very negative role in my life.

4 Likes

Easiest way to break up Facebook to create competition would be to make them spin off Instagram.

3 Likes

Privacy aside, if you like the platforms and have a social network you value, then just do a quick spoof mislead once a week. Search for something ridiculous like “fishing pole earring” and follow to the purchase point, and slightly fail to complete.

You get an amusing stream of stupidly mis-directed ads.

But also, enjoy the idea that the huge investors may well yet sue Zsuck for misleading information. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

34 is young? I turn 30 in a few months and I’m already old enough that I’ve lost touch with the memes from the current generation.

I keep seeing new vocabulary that’s beyond my ken.

I’m a millenial, and now I’m feeling old

1 Like

what would that say for the twitter

1 Like

I don’t use Facebook or Instagram (much), but I dont understand how “the youngsters” are leaving Facebook for Instagram. Instagram (as far as I can tell) is much more limited interface: post photos, give/receive comments on posted photos. Does Instagram really fill the gap created by leaving Facebook? Or do they use Instagram Plus Something Else to replace Facebook?

They see Facebook (and increasingly Twitter) as something for the Olds and don’t want the endless notifications about Grandma getting a new achievement on FarmJewels or getting yet another “news” update about the Mooslim Peril from their racist uncle. They’re also somewhat more aware of FB’s bad reputation and the perception that it’s for tech-ignorant rubes.

At the moment they use an Instagram accessible to their general social network of friends and family, a second “finstagram” account to share the personal/naughty stuff with friends, Snapchat to send stuff they don’t want on the permanent social media record, and use iChat and SMS and chat apps to have real-time individual and group conversations. Zuckerberg’s newest initiative is trying to corner that last aspect and regain traction for FB via Whatsapp.

Also, when the adults try to clamp down on any of this sharing they don’t like, the kids find ways around it (currently with Google Docs). It must be bloody exhausting being a kid in the West today, having to be “always on” and performing for others. This short film gives one a taste of it:

You have freedom of choice- if you want an “alternative” product you can buy Odwalla or Snapple (owned by Coca Cola) or maybe a nice Dr Pepper - for you uncola nuts! Owned by Keurig which is owned by Pepsi.

5 Likes