Miniature bear trap for your finger

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/08/miniature-bear-trap-for-your-f.html

3 Likes

Man this is excellent, i kind of thought it was a plastic toy but its not, it’s a DIY project that can be done with minimal tools which i really appreciate. The BB post links to a Youtube video but for written instructions and template for the parts here’s the link to the project

I’m definitely intrigued and pondering on scaling this up like 20% :thinking:

5 Likes

Because

This looks like it would come in really handy.

2 Likes

Ooooh! Tabletop D&D trap!

7 Likes

A nice mosquito trap, especially Up North where they can pick you up and carry you off.

1 Like

7 Likes

Yeah, for your finger. Right.

6 Likes

It took 4 or 5 revisions to this keychain trap toy to be fun, safe, and easy to build.

Shades of Roald Dahl’s “Man from the South.”

2 Likes

Really nice build – it’s refreshing to see something like this made with simple hand tools and not 3-d printed, CNC’d, or laser cut.

2 Likes

I think it’d be possible and relatively easy to do this laser cut or 3D printed, but i definitely love that this is mostly meant to be done as manual as possible. I’ll have to remember to bookmark the project so i can give it a try sometime.

How well does it scale up?
Asking for a friend.

4 Likes

You must really hate your friend

5 Likes

Let’s hope they’re not…
unbearable

5 Likes

com-add-text

3 Likes

5 Likes

Are there any tips on increasing the spring tension? Sharpening the teeth isn’t an issue, but it would be good to have it leave a real impression on those helping themselves to stuff from other people’s drawers.

1 Like

Answered my own question, just read through the main description.
Looks like a lot of fun, I’m going to have a go at one of those.
I reckon a piercing saw is going to be a future purchase…

That was my thought. All the responses are so wholesome.

2 Likes

We’re gonna need a bigger trap!