Minnesota wants drivers to use these "document pouches" to avoid getting executed by cops for reaching into the glove box

I know of this but I still can’t grasp it. Even with my little understanding of psychology and law enforcement I can see how counterproductive this is: The more tension you put in a situation the more likely it is to escalate, right?

When you arrive as an official(*) at a situation you must always be the paragon of calm and reservedness because People Will Copy Your Behaviour. People tend to copy the mood of who they perceive the authority figure, basic hindbrain stuff. If you arrive tense and barking orders with an implied threat of violence you already failed.

And these rules do exactly that. It means that everytime people interact with a cop it starts out as a confrontation and it is very difficult to climb down from that. Pull a weapon and it only gets worse!

(*I learned this at my training for first aid and emergency response or at a team management course, same thing.)

4 Likes

You’re right - you can choose to re-reg with a special plate like that.

But the default (>99%) is that the original plates go with the car to the new owner. It’s not like the US where new plates are issued every time the vehicle is sold/transferred.

2 Likes

Limit them to harsh language; they’ve proven themselves to be deadly with “non-lethal force”.

3 Likes

My lilly white ass has been ticketed for not having the most recent insurance printout in the glovebox. Shrug.

2 Likes

When steering columns become huge plastic things with a stalks to control lights and wipers and adjustable.

2 Likes

If these idiots took two steps back toward the rear of the car, they’d be safe from anyone except Annie Oakley.

4 Likes

This actually varies by state. Cars are regulated mostly at the state level in everything except safety standards, and different states handle tags, stickers, etc, in different ways. Canada is similar- it’s all done at the provincial level, so there are wacky differences between provinces. Like BC requires front plates but Alberta (next door) does not. Saskatchewan has one of the wackier schemes, namely government-supplied insurance. The province is the sole provider of car insurance and calculates cost primarily on the value of the vehicle, not on driver history. Very unusual. BC is a mix, with private insurance, but a government baseline called Autoplan that is like a subset of all other plans. It’s complicated. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Goddammit it Fauci - stay on message!

/s

5 Likes

That’s why I may never again visit the US in my car - though your police probably think Canadians are a bunch of unarmed wimps.

Shaped charges are pretty specific on direction of force.

4 Likes

A locksmit made a suggestion decades ago that we’ve followed ever since. If you have an attached garage, put a lock on the door between house and garage. On the house side, it’s a simple knob lock (for convenience and emergency exit). On the garage side, it requires a key.

tl;dr Treat the door from your garage into your house just like your front door, in terms of locking.

3 Likes

I mean… we are. But we consider that a feature, not a bug. :grimacing:

7 Likes

I recommend you first replace the door and frame with something more substantial than the 1-3/8" thick cheap wood door and shoddy wood frame. The bad guys have lots of time (and probably tools from your garage) to attack the door once they’re in that far. The garage should be alarmed, just like the rest of your home. Have a nice loud siren in the garage to agitate your intruders too.

2 Likes

I’ve seen this movie. It did not end well for Detroit.

5 Likes

2 Likes

We did property maintenance back during the housing crisis. Very difficult dealing with the banks and getting paid and very depressing walking into people’s abandoned lives. Didn’t do it long.

But I did learn how to get into any locked door with a cordless drill, a hammer, and a screw driver. Most locks took less than a minute.

I agree, an alarm is the way to go and a cat.

1 Like

Burgess Meredith Meme GIF

2 Likes

4 Likes

Well, they still have to verify that you are the one all those records refer to, or have the permission of that person to be driving the vehicle. Personal interaction is still necessary.

Showing the registration and insurance info are irrelevant to either of those since they have those electronically via their mobile data unit in their car. There is nothing about the paper version of either of those that would show that you have permission to use the vehicle if your name is not on them - the same name they can get from the electronic version via their MDU.

The driver’s license that identifies you as a person is a different issue, and not the topic of the OP.

Unarmed perhaps, but wimps?

To say that the Montreal/Quebec City rivalry was intense is to understate the situation considerably. :slight_smile: