Mississippi state rep tells distraught mom to buy kid's lifesaving meds "with money she earns"

Oh they shouldn’t get help either.

Sorry, my hackles were raised. As a librarian who has to negotiate deals with publishers for hundreds of libraries, I’m a little sensitive on this issue. I promise most of us are the good guys doing all we can to keep information free. :slight_smile:

24 Likes

Let them eat cake. (?)

1 Like

[quote=“Shuck, post:73, topic:80629”]
Fuck this state rep with a cactus, sideways.
[/quote]Kinky…I like it, but he really deserves much more. Oh, and the Prep H has to come from his own earnings

1 Like

Putting the “spring” in Springer and the “severe” in Elsevier and the “why” in Wiley, right?

6 Likes

We should have a Kickstarter. 75% goes to helping this family’s medical bills 25% to send bags of poop to this guy’s home and office.

7 Likes

Did you ever know you’re my hero with this remark? Except it’s Springer Nature now so, you know, consolidation. Which has worked so well for objectivity and space for independent voices in the news media and other sources of info …

4 Likes

Unfortunately I’ve been around long enough to remember when they were Springer Verlag. And do I dare hope that their acquisition of Nature will mean enough added staff that my emailed questions will no longer disappear into a black hole?

No, I can’t be so naive.

3 Likes

It means they can get by with half the staff for twice the product!

2 Likes

I used to hate oatmeal growing up, and I never knew why. Then I discovered grits and realized that I had sensed the presence of a superior foodstuff.

9 Likes

Bad grits are really, really disgusting. Good grits, well, they remind you of unicorns and rainbows.

3 Likes

Why is this legal? Why is it possible?

8 Likes

My first exposure to grits was at a Boy Scout camp… if you let the bowl cool for a minute or two it would turn into a rubbery object that you could bounce on the table like a ball. We would amuse ourselves by sticking a spork in the middle, giving it a minute to solidify, and then peeling the entire mass out like a popsicle.

Perhaps that’s where the metaphor is?

1 Like

As is usually the case with me, I’ve chosen a tangent on something that I can wrap my small brain around (e.g., grits and publishing) instead of addressing the issue at hand. There are many, many small minds in Mississippi. I’ve lived a significant chunk of my adult life in Mississippi, university towns and the Mississippi Delta, and I tried to do the most I could, yet I chose to move away. Is there ever too much past to overcome? I don’t know. I just don’t know.

2 Likes

Yeah, like isn’t this one of the jobs of representatives, to help constituents?

7 Likes

How come I’m not surprised?

2 Likes

He has supposedly issued an apology.

“I realize my remarks to Mrs. Nichols were completely insensitive and out of line,” Guice said in an emailed statement. “I am sorry and deeply regret my reply. I know nothing about her and her family and replied in knee-jerk fashion. I’d like to think the people of Mississippi and my constituents know that I’m willing to help where I am able.”

Here’s an article from NPR that goes into some detail about why insulin’s so expensive. AFAICT, it basically it comes down to greed.

5 Likes

“Is you is, or is you ain’t, mah constituency??”

Poop. It doesn’t display consistently.

5 Likes
9 Likes