Mississippi will not add domestic violence as grounds for divorce

I’m willing to bet that gun politics are quietly a part of this. Of women murdered by men, 93 percent are killed by someone they know — and the majority are intimate partners of their killers. Mississippi in 2012 has the 5th highest rate of women murdered by men. ( http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-sugarmann/for-women-gun-violence-of_b_5913752.html ).

If laws change to include domestic violence related divorces in federal gun background checks (as they probably should) a person’s right to have a killing machine would be jeopardized (heaven forbid).

8 Likes

The etymology certainly predates Boondock Saints, but I feel that they might have reinvigorated it.

See also

3 Likes

Article 98
The wife may petition for divorce on one of the following grounds:

1. Non respect by the husband of one of the conditions in the marriage contract;
  2. Harm;
  3. Non maintenance;
  4. Absence;
  5. Latent defect;
  6. Abstinence and abandonment.

Must be embarrassing when the Islamic Kingdom of Morocco is pulling ahead of you on women’s rights.

6 Likes

Well, a divorce received in one state has to be honored by any other state, so all she has to do is go to another state, one with “New York values,” and she can get the divorce.

Lets not go into how difficult it is to get marriage licenses in Kentucky. :wink:

That’s not true. Both parties only have to agree to an uncontested divorce. When they want to avoid a trial. If one spouse does not consent to divorce, then the marriage has to be dissolved by the courts, in a trial.

You have to get divorced in the state you were married.

That’s what this issue is about. Domestic violence can’t be the reason to file for divorce.

You don’t actually need a reason to file for divorce. When in doubt “irreconcilable differences” is the catchall reason.

Grounds for divorce are only used when one is seeking something more than an even split of the marital property or something more than joint custody of children. Something to show that there is more to the dissolution of the marriage besides couples not getting along anymore. In every state “Cruelty” is listed as a cause which traditionally covered spousal abuse.

Pretty sure thats not true. You can get divorced anywhere provided you meet their requirements to file. I got married in Vegas, but I filed for divorce in Ontario, after I’d lived there for 12 months. Every state/province will have its own rules.

6 Likes

Canada? Interesting.
Yeah, it’s totally a state thing.
But I’m sure any marriages from Vegas can get annulled anywhere :wink:

1 Like

You have to file in the state you live in, not the state you got married in: http://family-law.lawyers.com/divorce/where-do-i-file-for-divorce.html

6 Likes

I am pretty sure Vegas does a drive through version of that as well.

1 Like

Inebriated?

12 Likes

Hopeful and optimistic for the future?

1 Like

Aren’t those the same thing?

6 Likes

The ability to get a divorce with no questions asked is essential to protecting victims from abuse. We can dream hypothetical scenarios all day long, but the reality is that restrictive divorce laws keep abused spouses with abusers.

If my spouse told me they had their heart set on divorce I’d certainly try to talk them out of it, but if that was their decision, who other than an abusive spouse wouldn’t respect that anyway?

6 Likes

Pfft! Maybe your spouse is just in a huff! Because running down to the court house in a huff is a thing that people do… right?

I don’t even understand that argument at all.

If someone wants to a leave a relationship, even over something trivial “they leave toothpaste in the sink” - let them go! Why would anyone, let alone the state, want someone to stay with a person that DOESN’T WANT TO BE THERE? This makes no sense!?

3 Likes

In the great wide world I’m sure it’s a thing someone has done at some point… and it was probably best for all parties that such a person be allowed to leave the marriage!

If the divorce ends up being such a big mistake, just get married again.

2 Likes

There’s a lot of haterade for the South, but if you really want to look at some fucked up divorce laws, look to New York. It was the very last state to institute No Fault divorce and apparently the way it was done makes it just as difficult to get a divorce as with a for Fault one. My ex and I were totally in agreement about the grounds but we started our divorce process as friends and ended up with a much worse relationship simply because the law made it so hard for us to get a divorce and encouraged so much bitterness to enrich the lawyers.

1 Like