Missouri Governor demands prosecution of journalists who reported security flaw in state website's "HTMLM"

Not only is it not hacking, the state website volunteered this private information to any member of the public! Literally giving you an OK (200) with every response - I wonder if HTTP requests are a binding contract for the purposes of tort …

12 Likes

Yep. Tell the hackers of the world that your systems are vulnerable. Nice move.

4 Likes

Friday, that’s when I brings out the big puns.

10 Likes

You are probably correct. I just hope that you aren’t. Had the governor discussed this situation with someone having the most basic knowledge of HTML, any reasonable person would have told him to stop before he makes a laughing stock of himself.

5 Likes

But it’s Thurs…

Oh.

11 Likes

The really frightening thing is that Parsons is (marginally) more qualified and knowledgable that the Trump-wannabe he replaced, who actually had to resign when a sex scandal broke because he’s not actually Trump. I’d say I’m glad I don’t live in Missouri anymore, but this sort of ridiculousness seems to be spreading.

8 Likes

You’re just going have to wait. Patients is a virtue.

6 Likes

They’ve traced the hacker’s IP address to 127.0.0.1, and there’s a lot of incriminating evidence there!

20 Likes

What Parson thinks happened:

What actually happened:

18 Likes

Obvious bait is obvious.

5 Likes

Maroon. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Cut bait or fish, your choice.

4 Likes

Similar to this episode Private vaccine verification app Portpass sparks privacy, security concerns | CBC News
Creator of the app brought down Hell on the reporters who uncovered the security issue.

Deflection, misdirection, blame everyone except the persons responsible. Sickening.

6 Likes

So, it is a local dialect of the HTML language, like the cockney HTML or the pomeranian HTML, isn´t it?

7 Likes

It’s all in how you phrase it. “I just requested for a regular website. You sent the SSNs to my computer!”

3 Likes

Alternate headlines:

Missouri Governor Mike Parson suspected to be an idiot. Governor’s statement removes all doubt.

Education commissioner Margie Vandeven needs less commission and more education.

I get that most people don’t understand tech, but for crying out loud check with experts before making an ass of yourself.

13 Likes

Imagine having a job where you have to stand behind idiots like this while they blather on, like the two guys behind this governor.
The guy in the SS uniform has no clue what’s going on, but the other guy looks so embarrassed.

2 Likes

News just in, the state of MO is now a prime target for ransomware.

6 Likes

They’re republicans and in MO.

Expertise to them is a made-up concept invented by ivory tower harvard elites designed to turn their children into trans communists.

16 Likes

My initial reaction was: the governor is so fucking ignorant. But that is, frankly, par for the course, and this is actually so much worse than that, as everyone on his staff either helped prepare these remarks or didn’t stop him from making them. And not just this inept press conference, but the series of tweets that “he” (i.e. his staff) sent out as well. Many people should have been involved with this (if they weren’t, that’s its own problem) - and either none of them knew better, or none of them cared (or dared) to correct anything or even raise the issue. And not just the governor’s staff, but the education commissioner and her staff, too. That’s far more damning of the state than a single inept, ignorant politician, that’s a whole rotten institution.

12 Likes