Missouri Governor demands prosecution of journalists who reported security flaw in state website's "HTMLM"

Originally published at: Missouri Governor demands prosecution of journalists who reported security flaw in state website's "HTMLM" | Boing Boing

12 Likes

“The extra ‘M’ is for ‘Moron’!”

25 Likes

The hypertext markup language of Missouri (HTMLM) is a very specific standard that experts once though might never be decoded. /s

57 Likes

Wow just wow. I mean web security isn’t simple but seriously just putting social security numbers in the page? that’s publicly accessible? jfc.

21 Likes

Did you want to encourage hackers from around the world to find the flaws and exploit them? Because I think you just did.

good job! /s

17 Likes

Or, presumably, at anything else.

16 Likes

Oh no, I just “hacked” the BBS!

view-source:https://bbs.boingboing.net/t/missouri-governor-demands-prosecution-of-journalists-who-reported-security-flaw-in-state-websites-htmlm/207012

21 Likes

-pinches bridge of nose-

Oh, Jesus Fucking Christ. What a moron. It’s not hacking, you idiot.

13 Likes

No private information was publicly visible, but teacher Social Security numbers were contained in HTML source code of the pages.

Reading that sentence was good for a laugh.

20 Likes

Seriously. People died to protect that standard; it’s what the Bowling Green Massacre was all about.

I mean, If you weren’t there that day you have no idea… the fighting inside the network trenches was so vicious it looked like someone had taken a meat grinder to the secure socket layer.

35 Likes

That’s Public Accessory, my favorite Rap fusion (with sunspot radio noise) band and cool even flowin’ Federal countersuit with fun multitiered ransom of accidentally public private information and synchronous ‘how is it hanging’ FOIA filing of supposedly done discovery.

11 Likes

Misery loves company.

12 Likes

The claim that clicking “view source” is “hacking” (as elaborated by Education Commissioner Margie Vandeven, this is also “decryption”)

10 bucks says they decided to throw the “decryption” claim on top because the site is served over HTTPS.

15 Likes

Oh, see, I thought this was HyperText Multi-level Marketing.

Which, now that I think about it, is probably A Thing.

32 Likes

Congrats, you’ve just described NFTs!

23 Likes

Probably keeps his house key under the doormat.

6 Likes

I don’t understand it and I’m most certainly wrong, but I have a very strong opinion none the less.

10 Likes

Yeah and all of his passwords are password.

10 Likes

Your state-specific wordplay is fierce today.

13 Likes

I’m struck by the two people stood glowering behind him… One seems to be wearing a modern version of the Nazi “Brownshirt” uniform, and the other has what appear to be snakeskin cowboy boots under his smart suit… So I guess it’s the armed thug variety of fascist bullyboy on one side, and the crooked lawyer variety of fascist bullyboy on the other…?

8 Likes