Missouri hid own Covid study after it found mask mandates saved lives

Tell them that you’re a Prepper.

3 Likes

id be curious what scares him so much about masks? or is he afraid of coronavirus itself?

i wonder if sometimes if you can’t convince someone on the facts, maybe you can get them to convince themselves by helping them to unpack their thoughts. ( plus, im just curious… )

fear is the mind killer, the little death. only the masked and vaxed will remain

eta

i see what you did there :wink:

6 Likes

I have to say, I like that DC has listed it’s mask mandate. BUT, I also still wear my mask when at stores or at work in our public/shared spaces. And most people here in DC are doing the same. Mandates are for those who don’t care about others, everyone else is reasonable.

7 Likes

well, he had the virus once, summer of 2020, so i don’t know for sure where his fear lies, but he just said “i am not a sheep,” and that’s where i decided that we just didn’t need to talk for awhile, because it was clear i wasn’t going to be able to convince him to continue wearing his mask even though he’d been vaccinated.

11 Likes

I can’t speak to this particular case, but believe the fear from anti-maskers is about admitting that they were wrong: wrong about vaccines, wrong about masks, wrong about the virus. It can be hard to admit one made a mistake, and especially hard if one’s sense of self is wrapped up in being infallible (whether because religion or “expertise” or maleness or whiteness or wealth or whatever).

Add to it the cascade of: “if you were wrong about masks, what else were you wrong about?” and you have strong motivation to resist a trivial matter even if it kills you.

16 Likes

I hope it never happens, but if it does my plan is to give them a scathing look from tip to toe then ask them why they think I would take their advice on what to wear in public.

25 Likes

I already have this prepared in my head for when I inevitably get confronted about my gender presentation: “Wow! That’s amazing. It’s like you think I actually care about your opinion on anything.” If I happen to feel talkative, this continue to “Do you have any other delusions of adequacy that might cause you to spout your worthless nonsense?”

19 Likes

It’s pronounced “Misery.”

4 Likes

mandates are something else as well. an indication of what society says is reasonable. and a clear communication of what’s acceptable.

connecting that with clear consequences: i cant go into a store without a mask - are necessary to keep ourselves and each other honest. small one off mistakes or forgetfulness add up over time because there are so many people, and in a pandemic that’s dangerous.

regulations that apply to everyone equally - even to the most well intentioned and responsible people - help all of us support each other

( ^ all of which is the same logic regarding other epidemics like america’s gun violence. a lack of regulation in both cases kills people )

11 Likes

I guess I don’t get any of this anymore.

We sacrificed a lot in WWII and changed how we lived our lives for that.

We don’t smoke in public spaces anymore.

We wear seat belts.

Driving impaired seems to be a bad thing we all agree upon.

What is it about wearing a mask, to protect yourself and others, that is so bad? Is it really because another team believes it’s a responsible thing to do? Would I not be wearing a mask now had Mike Pence said it was a responsible thing to do? Would I be saying “It’s my body, my choice! I’m not going to be putting that crap in my body!” if Jared Kushner said it was the best course of action to see our way through the pandemic, while I’m eating McDonalds and taking Ivermectin?

18 Likes

Nothing. It was politicized by the Trump white house and since his strongest supporters are inclined towards authoritarianism, they embraced the narrative that mandates of this nature are inherently “authoritarian” because it’s all about Orwellian projection with them.

26 Likes

Wow, I haven’t seen any tactical masks. They must exist, right?

3 Likes

If you think the politics in western IL are much different, then apparently you haven’t spent much time in western IL.

I’m so stealing this. Yoink!

14 Likes

I’ve pointed out the carrying a gun thing is also living in fear.

I either get “if you don’t understand the difference I’m not going to explain it to you” or “it’s not living in fear, it’s being prepared”.

The second response has me shake my head and walk away.

8 Likes

I haven’t been asked but I would like to say “because my risk assessment module is fully functional.”

Mask use at my office has dropped way down. Sigh.

14 Likes

No, not at this point, I suspect. Too far gone if you are still looking at ending this shitshow as “living in fear.”

12 Likes

Beau did a whole bit on this thing yesterday. But the irony died, I fear.

7 Likes

Definitely more accurate, and a nice burn, but I don’t think they would get it, necessarily.
If someone pulls this shit on me, I want them to walk away stinging. I want them to rue the day, I tell you!!!

22 Likes

And the results would have been even better if people were wearing respirator grade masks instead of cloth masks or surgical masks that don’t fit closely at the sides.

Upgrade your masks to respirator grade N95, FFP2, KF94 or KN95 filtering facepiece respirators. Get them from a supplier that is likely to be selling genuine masks bought directly from a reputable manufacturer (Home Depot is more likely to be selling genuine masks than a random 3d party retailer on Amazon, for example). Fit is important. Beards give the air a way to go around the mask instead of through it, so, yes, you do need to shave your beard so it doesn’t interfere with the seal of the mask.

If you are going to take the trouble to wear a mask it is trivial to take the extra effort to wear a good mask instead of a crappy one. And the protection of wearing a respirator grade mask is orders of magnitude better for you and others.

8 Likes