Missouri hid own Covid study after it found mask mandates saved lives

Speaking as someone who fled (St. Louis) Missouri almost 30 years ago, and it was a hot mess back then, this latest version of Missouri is dang near unrecognizable to me.

Just wow.

Missouri has >90% literacy rate:
https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/us-literacy-rates-by-state

and it has poverty rate that matches the national average:
https://www.welfareinfo.org/poverty-rate/missouri/

… but …

… and, uh oh:

screenshot from the PDF… sorry it disallows copy-pasting:

how_yikesmissouri

24 Likes

Christ what an asshole

7 Likes

There ya go.

3 Likes

Of these, the only one I haven’t heard some RW idiot (specifically: statements from Rush L. when he was still alive and popping pills) publicly reject was the first one, as they seem to idolize WWII as long as it doesn’t extend to healthcare for vets. I’m not trying to make it an ideology position or anything, but it seems to be the way of things. “This minor restriction helps other people, therefore I’m rejecting it” seems to be a way of life for them.

6 Likes

I’m optimistically going to assume that the the bad stuff is an exception – that’s why it’s news.

Hey, I’ve lived in MO most of my life now too.

5 Likes

For some people it isn’t hard, for others it is.

My two biggest issues with wearing a mask

1. I’m a fast talker and without seeing my lip movements it is harder for others to understand me
  2. Nobody can see me crack a small after making a dry joke, so they don’t know if I am serious or not

So I need to focus on slowing down my rapid talk, and just give up on some jokes. Not much of a burden.

My wife has problems breathing in masks, she still wars them, but she needs to sit frequently, or go out side/back to the car after a much shorter time then say 2019. Sometimes I end up with a list of shopping to complete.

That might be psychosomatic, but even if so it is still an issue.

She still does it, but I can absolutely believe that masks can be a big ask for some people. A big ask that is absolutely justified, but still not a “slap it on it aint’ a thang”.

1 Like

People probably haven’t been completely understanding your speech for years - the masks may have just made you more aware of the issue.

(I used to think I had really clear diction until I took a voice and diction class in college. Upon listening to myself critically in recordings for class, found I have a rather lazy mouth. The clarity I thought I was giving was largely in my head and not coming out of my mouth.)

9 Likes

“Clearly not. Sheep are social animals and look out for each other. Not a wolf, either, for the same reason. Hmm, what kind of animal are you? Oh, I know: a weasel. A selfish weasel. That works.”

32 Likes

Is it confirmed all those in Missouri who made decision are Republican?

So many things that are now considered political.

The officials who chose to hide facts because they didn’t conform to the official lie are corrupt and dangerous. It doesn’t matter whether they vote for Democrats or Republicans in the voting booth.

13 Likes

i wear masks where required but isn’t this mostly about people who haven’t been vaccinated? Isn’t the risk extremely low for vaccinated people? Ive been vaccinated and boostered. Even this dude who got omicron in SF had only mild symptoms cuz he was vaccinated. i bet if you analyzed this data, most of the infections and deaths were unvaccinated right? i mean yeah there are people who are immunocompromised but couldn’t they choose for themselves to wear masks? I think these politicians are jerks but mainly because the same people who are against mask mandates are also downplaying the effectiveness of vaccines which I think are the actual solution to this pandemic.

maybe I’m revealing myself as having little sympathy for anti-vaxxers. Cuz i think they are mainly who we are protecting with mask mandates.

Regardless of vaccination status, one is safest if everyone in the vicinity is wearing a mask. Both vaccinations and masks serve to lower the risk of infection, while neither vaccines nor masks (nor a combination of the two) reduce the probability of infection to zero.

Every measure (vaccines, masks, handwashing) is intended to reduce the risk of infection, and the use of multiple measures in combination provides the greatest overall risk reduction.

13 Likes

Unless you are absolutely positive you don’t have even an asymptomatic case you wear the mask to protect those around you if you’re out in public.

9 Likes

It’s state level politics, mostly. IL is better than MO, so if I’m going to live near St Louis, I’d rather my tax money go to IL than MO.

1 Like

when ive gone running with a mask on ( ex. at a race with lots of people around ) it is noticably harder to breathe. i also worked retail for the first year of the pandemic, and although no trouble breathing - boy did my ears hurt

it’s hard to say, sure my chances are only x% of injuring myself or someone else by becoming a carrier - in fact i don’t think there’s an exact percentage to slot in there

but with 1-2 thousand americans dying every day, and so many more hospitalized, just remember i guess that ventilators hurt more than masks, and - to my mind - that balances it all out

9 Likes

i was a little shocked when i discovered the people i had considered to be friends, but who all vocally opposed masking, vaccination, etc. HAD ALL HAD COVID over the past year! (Let’s say 5 friends and about 5 coworkers.)

Not a cold nor a flu… they all said 'twas CoViD… and they are ok now.

But that makes me a sheeperson, for masking and getting vaxxed/boostered. Quite sure i am one of the most non-conformist people they know. i also had lung failure at 19 so i can’t take any chances.

15 Likes

i went to a wedding in Smithville in October, but stayed in Kansas City. Night and day. i think the KC mayor kind of has a clue. i felt pretty safe, and haven’t gotten sick.

1 Like

I think there are some studies out there that show that

• left-wing folks’ attitudes/beliefs are stable regardless of political division
  • right-wing folks’ attitudes/beliefs change according to political convenience

Which is why things like national debt only ever matter to right-wingers when it can be used to attack the left.

10 Likes

I was a bit surprised when watching this video shared in another thread that more effective masks (like @Skeptic is recommending) may muffle speech less. This won’t help with lip reading, but may help with breathing and being understood.

If you’re wearing them often or for long periods fit matters and it can be hard to find what works best for you…which means finding extra time and money. Which is tough for many.

I’ve wondered if masks being common would change how we express emotion and sarcasm, but now a year or two later I don’t think masks have become ubiquitous enough to change it.

4 Likes