Missouri School of Journalism proud of photographer Tim Tai. Melissa Click, not so much

Which is essentially what I’ve been trying to get across - but have been ignored. But she’s become the real villain in this whole thing, and we’re no longer talking about the problem here, which is racism on this college campus.

4 Likes

You haven’t been ignored. Quite the contrary–several people have explained to you why you’re wrong.

Boohoo. Dr. Click has herself to blame for that, because her actions were reprehensible, unjustifiable, and totally at odds with the movement and people she claims to support.

No, we’re still talking about it elsewhere, because it’s a separate subject.

From what I can tell, they did.

Correction: Dr Click is not “gone”. She had a courtesy appointment at the J-School, which did not involve her teaching classes, ever. She resigned that appointment and apologized. She still has her post as a communications professor – as she should. More here:

2 Likes

First, if I said anything overly snark or disrepectful to you, I apologize. I had kind of a shit day yesterday.

Second, I disagree that I’m wrong, which is precisely why I’m persisting here - I just don’t see is as such as black and white (heh) issue as you (and @albill) seem to. You don’t have to agree with me, but you do need to treat me with a bit more respect. I’m a long standing member of this community and when other long standing community members employ snark and condescension on a valid point, whether or not you agree with it, it’s frankly disappointing and hurtful. I expect much more out of this community than tarring and feathering. I agree what she did was wrong, but I disagree that she should have her life ruined over it. It was a heat of the moment incident, as I see it.

Third, I think the real problem continue to be the racists and the fox news types have jumped on this to claim the whole movement is illegitimate. They are looking for any little crack to show how this is all a farce. I think we can disagree on the main point here, and still understand that very real fact. There really is a war going on, on a number of fronts.

4 Likes

The Chronicle for Higher Ed has a nice piece on how MU professors are talking about this incident and how it relates to press freedom and distrust of mainstream media. I hear some of you like nuanced perspectives, this has some.

2 Likes

Nuance is a liberal conspiracy, man!

4 Likes

I can’t speak for everyone, but I don’t remember you saying anything disrespectful or overly snarky to me beyond the usual nyuk-nyuk snark in which everyone here engages.

I don’t see this issue as binary or black-and-white.

I have.

So am I, and so are a lot of other people, and that point is irrelevant.

I’m not sure what you expected after you repeatedly tried to derail the conversation with irrelevant points and logical fallacies while trying to cast yourself as some sort of beseiged scholar under attack from hordes of crazed militants from both sides of the issue.

I haven’t seen anyone here suggesting either you or Dr. Click should be.

Yay, you agree with me. I don’t think her life should be ruined. I also don’t think she should be teaching.

If that’s true, it was a moment Dr. Click instigated. If Dr. Click can’t control herself at a peaceful student protest, she has absolutely no business participating in such an activity, and her egregious lack of impulse control ruins the movement for everyone. Dr. Click’s actions are simply indefensible and you’re doing yourself a disservice when you insult our intelligence by trying to excuse or rationalize them.

Yes, and Dr. Click isn’t helping.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.